Battery auto isolator vs. Solenoid

Diana LAING

I have an 89 Toyota Warrior - new to us. We have been trying to get all the systems connected. When we bought it there was no coach battery. It has an auto-isolator with a plug in charger attached. A solenoid on the side wall has only 2 wires going to it. A wire to where the house battery is stored and the second was to the Bat 2 position of the isolator Both 10 ga.. My questions are: 1 do I just hook up the coach as is? Wire seems light. The solenoid terminal is like a junction point? 2: Replace the solenoid - but what do I hook to it? 

A picture is worth  thousands words and several are worth a million, Got pics please.

p

yah, pics are good.   I can tell you my 93 is wired with a low draw continuous duty solenoid.  The solenoid is activated when the ignition switch is "on" - the wire on side of the solenoid is wired into the windshield wiper circuit.   The hot wire from the engine battery + terminal goes to the solenoid and then on to the + terminal of the coach battery.  It only needs a small wire as it only charges the coach battery slowly. You will probably find a circuit breaker before the solenoid and before the house battery.

Your coach battery should also have a smaller wire coming from the power convertor to the + terminal.   On my  toy, the battery is installed with the + terminal on the side closest to the access door.  I can daisy chain 2 jumper cables and I could use the coach battery to boost the engine battery or drain the engine battery to further power  the coach.

Here is the pic on my 1990 Itasca (similar to yours). I had a temporary aligator clip to manual charge the cab battery when plugged in

20170704_193900.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello All Well did you fix or resolve the problem? I sure would like to know the outcome. Thanks

It seems this happens a lot...a question is posted and a few chime in then nothing... Let's finish what we start...Okay Y'all ! Otherwise what's the point ! 

I have ctek d250s dual battery charger and it works very well for me. It's a five step charger, voltage sensitive relay, mppt solar charger. I wire a 2 awg welding cable from the truck battery to the cteck.