Norcold refrigerator in 86 mini

Our propane operated frig has always worked fine until recently. On our recent short trip the flame would ignite but only operates for a few minutes and then goes out. Just wondering what could be causing this. Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, mini-wini-dan said:

Our propane operated frig has always worked fine until recently. On our recent short trip the flame would ignite but only operates for a few minutes and then goes out. Just wondering what could be causing this. Any suggestions?

Pull the little cover and make sure there are no carbon deposits on the burner tube and thermocouple usually if the thermocouple is toes up it will only stay lit for several seconds.

It won't be much just kind of scrape it off with something small enough to fit in the opening.

I took the burner and ignition electrode out and did some probing and ended up breaking the tip off of the electrode. I did notice that after taking it apart and reinstalling it that it (the electrode was in the path of the flame and turned bright red). After trying to re ignite the burner and failing to get action I attempted to bend the electrode wire closer and broke the tip off. I am guessing that I may have killed it and will now need to replace it and the burner has major rust and discoloration. If these parts are available I may need to just replace? After my attempt at cleaning the burner it ignited but failed again to stay on. I am supposing that if I took the burner off and could find a good shot of compressed air maybe that would clear it.

24 minutes ago, mini-wini-dan said:

I took the burner and ignition electrode out and did some probing and ended up breaking the tip off of the electrode. I did notice that after taking it apart and reinstalling it that it (the electrode was in the path of the flame and turned bright red). After trying to re ignite the burner and failing to get action I attempted to bend the electrode wire closer and broke the tip off. I am guessing that I may have killed it and will now need to replace it and the burner has major rust and discoloration. If these parts are available I may need to just replace? After my attempt at cleaning the burner it ignited but failed again to stay on. I am supposing that if I took it off and could find a good shot of compressed air maybe that would clear it.

An RV store will have all the parts you need. Yes the electrode will glow red, normal. They will have a blueish tint.

1 hour ago, mini-wini-dan said:

thanks again

I think you are going to end up with a thermocouple there is a small tube that senses temperature at the flame and controls the gas valve  if it is not satisfied it will shut the burner down they do go bad. 

Is the thermocouple called a sensor electrode? I am willing to try that since I did the other steps by replacing the ignition electrode and I took the burner off and got a small wire brush attachment for my drill and cleaned up the inner area of the burner. After putting it all back together I am still getting the same symptom with the burner igniting with a good even blue flame and after about 30-60 seconds it goes out abruptly. When inquiring about getting a new burner the local rv dealer contacted Norcold who informed him that the burner part is no longer available for my unit. Mt Winnebago title document identifies the unit as an 87 but the pickup is an 86. Norcold said they discontinued my unit in 86. I see no id of any kind on my fridge and my owners manual that came with the vehicle shows a good descriptive picture of my unit and its parts. It is identified as either a 774 EG2 or a 776 EG2. I will call Norcold myself to discuss the thermocouple' availability. One other consideration is my deep cycle battery is near its date of experation and I am wonering if a weak deep cycle battery may be a cause. I have also had difficulty with the gas furnace re-igniting when cycling. Currently it will no even ignite. We rarely use it but this might be something to consider when trying to use the gas driven appliances. 

Thanks again for you suggestions and help. I am hoping to get the fridge working on propane again soon.   

Theres another thermocouple thats often ignored also... the one on the INSIDE in the fridge in the cooling array fins. If that one goes bad the fridge with think its cold enough and shut off depending on what setting its set to.

these ones get wet alot and will corrode sometimes 

• 2 weeks later...

When discussing this with an rv mechanic he said that since our unit runs with a constant flame that looks like a pilot light that runs continuously he believes that we may have moisture in the gas line that is obstructing the flow of gas. Any experience with purging moisture out of a gas line? Might be worth a try. As far as the thermocouple it is hooked up to copper line that disappears into the back of the unit and this appears to be a rather ambitious project getting into that area to unhook and then install a new part. I thought I should try removing the moisture idea first. Any impressions on that approach?

Pretty hard to get water in there. Water can't get in if propane can't get out. There have been issues with some campers with oil messing things up (propane is a petroleum product) but it's fairly rare.

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe that the thermocouple is the source of the problem. This part appears to possibly disconnect for replacement but I am finding that rather difficult and I am wondering if a specialized tool is needed? Or does the disconnect take place on the end that disappears in the back of the frig cabinet? Anyone have experience with removing and replacing this part?