1 hour ago, linda s said:

Some of those will fit some won't. Original part number is 45700-39035. The Moog SSD106 is a fit and 130 bucks less than original equipment which is still available

Linda S

Thanks Linda, it does look like the moog will work for that part #. In our case the part # is 457000-35030. What do you think about that?

What ever one you decide on carefully match it up to the original make sure all of the dimensions are exactly the same both collapsed and extended that is extremely important because if they are not it can shorten your steering range and you may not be able to make a turn. I have first hand info on this, years ago one of my mechanics put one on assuming it was correct only to crash into our parking lot wall because he could not make the turn that only cost me about $1100 glad he did not make it to the street.

2 hours ago, Bikemike said:

Thanks Linda, it does look like the moog will work for that part #. In our case the part # is 457000-35030. What do you think about that?

Where did you get this number  457000-35030. Not what my search showed. Just searched and that part number doesn't exist. I already posted your correct part number and yes the Moog is the right one SSD106

Linda S

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

Where did you get this number  457000-35030. Not what my search showed. Just searched and that part number doesn't exist. I already posted your correct part number and yes the Moog is the right one SSD106

Linda S

That is the part # on the damper. 

On 3/16/2008 at 4:51 PM, thepager5 said:

Hey Guys,

I am trying to replace the original Toyotoa Steering Stabelizer Shock. The top bolt released very easily because it has great clearence.

The bottom bolt however will not budge. It has been sprayed and hit and twisted etc. for about an hour now and will not budge. I can't get much hammer/leverage to hit because of the close frame.

ANY TIPS HERE????

Here are pics of mine so you can see what I am dealing with.

Original Part # is 45700-35030 U-B-3 Tokico. Do you know the replacement number off hand?

Thanks,

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1205707848_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205707859_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205707866_thumb.jpg

On 3/17/2008 at 8:22 PM, thepager5 said:

Hey there Maineah and ShopRat,

That Tie Rod Fork/ Pickle Fork worked great. Hit it about 10 times and the old part popped right off.

Replaced it with a Monroe SC2914 (22-1942-0) Steering Stabilizer.

The original part number did not match anything, anywhere!

The new Monroe bolted-up perfectly. Test Run is Wednesday!

Thanks again for the advice and the information to help me get ready for my 13 Day Yellowstone Trip in June.

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1205806904_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806911_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806919_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1205806926_thumb.jpg

On 3/18/2008 at 7:31 PM, thepager5 said:

Hey there Maineah,

The shock measured 1/4" longer at "fully extended" than the original damper shock.

I turned the wheels and they went all the way to the stops.

The Stops: can you get replacement rubbers for the ends of the stops? mine are cracked in half and I noticed where the stops had been rubbed before quite a bit.

Thanks again for the help!

Pager

Arkansas

Just found this. 

That's not even the part number in the other post you found. So we can't find the part number of a Toyota supplier Tokico, that is from 30+ years ago. Toyota still has a part number for the damper and that's what I posted. For the dual wheel truck. That monroe part number is for a Nissan and since I own one and just looked at it , it won't fit

Linda S

Damn Now I'm all dirty

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

That's not even the part number in the other post you found. So we can't find the part number of a Toyota supplier Tokico, that is from 30+ years ago. Toyota still has a part number for the damper and that's what I posted. For the dual wheel truck. That monroe part number is for a Nissan and since I own one and just looked at it , it won't fit

Linda S

Do you think that the moog will fit even though my part # is different?  The reason that I wondered if the SC2939 Monroe would work is two different part shops (oreileys, napa) suggested it when I gave them this part # 45700-35030. And that's what came up when I googled the part # also. I wasn't persuaded that the Monroe in the post I found was exactly right because the author reported a slight difference in sizes. Thanks for letting me know that it won't fit...now I'm really confused!

3 minutes ago, Bikemike said:

Do you think that the moog will fit even though my part # is different?  The reason that I wondered if the SC2939 Monroe would work is two different part shops (oreileys, napa) suggested it when I gave them this part # 45700-35030. And that's what came up when I googled the part # also. I wasn't persuaded that the Monroe in the post I found was exactly right because the author reported a slight difference in sizes. Thanks for letting me know that it won't fit...now I'm really confused!

I trust that Toyota knows the right part and the Moog matches the Toyota part number. I was only relying on an actual Toyota part site for my information. It is the only damper that comes up for our special vehicles

1987 Toyota Pickup

United States Of America; 4 Cyl 2.4L EFI; Low Deck,Pickup; Regular Cab; Heavy; Double Tire; Electric Fuel Injection; Incomplete Vehicles (Chassis & Cab)

Check Fit View similar parts that fit

• 1987 Toyota Pickup

United States Of America; 4 Cyl 2.4L EFI; Low Deck,Pickup; Regular Cab; Heavy; Double Tire; Electric Fuel Injection; Incomplete Vehicles (Chassis and chassis)

•  

Toyota Part No.: 45700-39035

DAMPER ASSY, STEERING

Toyota 45700-39035 DAMPER ASSY, STEERING pn_detail_zoom.png
Your Price: $171.65
Retail Price: $237.92
You Save: $66.27
Qty:
  • Dedicated ServiceDedicated Service
  • Lowest PricesLowest Prices
  • Fast DeliveryFast Delivery

This part fits the following vehicle options:

• Production Date: 08/1983-08/1988
  • Fitting Vehicle Options: LN5#, RN5#, 60, 65, 7#

Part Info

Part No. 45700-39035
Part Description DAMPER ASSY, STEERING
Manufacturer Toyota. This genuine Toyota part is guaranteed by Toyota's factory warranty.

My steering damper was shot & I removed it and forgot about it. Have not noticed any difference in steering - except one time in gusty conditions i wondered if it was wandering a bit more then "normal"

Has anyone else run without one?   THoughts?

Yeah, mine has been out since last winter and I haven't noticed that much of a difference. At first it seemed a little more loosey goosey coming down from a pass on swervy roads. I just wanted to get it back to how it was designed to function. 

On 6/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

Damn Now I'm all dirty

Duh, I see what you mean. The stabilizer I need has a threaded end on one side. No way that that Monroe with the double eyelets will work. Strange that both oreillys and napa said that it was a suitable replacement for mine. I will get the moog. 

Here is what I used. An owner at one of the Toyota rally's recommended it to me (wish I could remember his name).

It made a big difference, no more almost getting blown off of the road every time a semi passed me.

Ed

Skyjacker.JPG.7d3d94bd818cd7f713c248de4dbbd47a.JPG

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread.

A year ago I replaced my steering damper on my 91 odyssey as it was leaking, with a Monroe from RA , sc2914.  It fit ok but the right angled end does not have the ball joint socket the original oem part had.  Someone just posted on the Yahoo group that the Monroe will fit, but not work properly due to no fore-aft movement?  If I recall, the ball joint allowed for some r-l and some top-bottom movement.  Seems to be working ok. The oem is10x the price so prefer not to replace it.

Anyone else use the Monroe sc2914?

I did get the one that Linda suggested and it worked. Although the bolt that goes through the eyelet was not tapered like the original. If I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, odysseybernard said:

I put that one on recently and I have the same reaction as you.  Yea, it fits, but not very well and it's really kind of annoying because the only proper option out there is the expensive OEM one.

This is the problem point where the dampener attaches to the steering linkage:

IMG_20190425_120347816.jpg.bf62786be17500b89cb8937d8e71d602.jpg

The fixed Eye hole at the top of the dampener mounts with a rubber bushing.  Due to the angle of the dampener relative to the bolt attached to the steering linkage the bushing has to distort a lot.   The bushing is taking a beating as the steering is turned left to right. 

The shock part of it also feels a little "too stiff" in my opinion, like it doesn't let the steering straighten out naturally after a turn and i have to help it get back straight.  With the (leaking) OEM one it returned to straight more easily without as much intervention on my part.

20 hours ago, odysseybernard said:

Reviving an old thread.

A year ago I replaced my steering damper on my 91 odyssey as it was leaking, with a Monroe from RA , sc2914.  It fit ok but the right angled end does not have the ball joint socket the original oem part had.  Someone just posted on the Yahoo group that the Monroe will fit, but not work properly due to no fore-aft movement?  If I recall, the ball joint allowed for some r-l and some top-bottom movement.  Seems to be working ok. The oem is10x the price so prefer not to replace it.

My 93 had some clunky. hunk of junk on it, obviously shot and some sort of aftermarket product.   I replaced it with a Monroe and  I am going to assume it was the SC2914.  It seemed to fit right and I have had no issues with it, but I suspect after 3 years and 20,000 miles it may be leaking.   But I have nothing to compare it to.

On July 8, 2017 ednelson 100  posted a photo of a damper--a skyjacker hydro 7000.  I put this on my 94 Warrior at the suggestion of Ken Wery who showed me his at a Toyota rally.  It is working well for me.  If you order one, that 7000 is a series number, there is a specific part number for our Toyotas.  Be sure to order the one WITH brackets because the end on the driver's side clamps to the link with two U-bolts like on a Jeep.  And cost was less than half what a genuine Toyota part runs.