Operate portable generator while MH is in motion

Acsati1991

Hello everyone,

i am new to this motorhome life and i was wondering if i setup a eu3000is honda generator to the back(tail) of my toyota camper. can it be run  while the MH is on the road (in motion). i also thinking about making a sound baffle box for noise reduction.  

Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Theoretically no problem, I run my Onan often and all is good.

Areas of concern, bouncy roads and the Honda low oil sensor may not be compatible. Fuel supply-refuel. If its in a box then cooling. How do you rig power cord.

I run my Honda 2000i while driving to run my roof AC. Never had a problem in motion. Have it mounted on my rear platform. I secure the shore power cord to the city water inlet then back to the Honda. Keep the oil topped up. The 3000i is a much bigger unit though. You need to make sure your rear mounting area is strong enough for that much weight bouncing around. Most rear extensions were flimsy!  Another member here constructed a box to put his genny in but don't know how that turned out. Good Luck& Welcome!

I am one of the members that constructed a box to put the mighty little Honda 2000 in. There are some box designs on the net by some very knowledgeable people.  They are designing box's with no exhaust fans. After experimenting with mock-ups of that type of design I came to the conclusion that a wind blowing in the wrong direction, vacuum or turbulence caused when driving might overcome the fan in the Honda so experimented with 2 muffin type fans.

It needs to be understood that the Honda case is not just a cover but is designed to direct fan driven cooling air through the generator.  Honda actually sells sound box's for their generators in Asia with out fan assist. 

I decided that even those I did not trust and added a more powerful small radiator fan.  I don't want to guess wrong with an expensive generator.

Not an expert or professional only the way I did it. 

Yep Jim, your the one I was referring to and your Excellent box design!

Am I understanding you correctly that there is a fan inside our Honda 2000i?

9 hours ago, WME said:

Theoretically no problem, I run my Onan often and all is good.

Areas of concern, bouncy roads and the Honda low oil sensor may not be compatible. Fuel supply-refuel. If its in a box then cooling. How do you rig power cord.

6 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

I run my Honda 2000i while driving to run my roof AC. Never had a problem in motion. Have it mounted on my rear platform. I secure the shore power cord to the city water inlet then back to the Honda. Keep the oil topped up. The 3000i is a much bigger unit though. You need to make sure your rear mounting area is strong enough for that much weight bouncing around. Most rear extensions were flimsy!  Another member here constructed a box to put his genny in but don't know how that turned out. Good Luck& Welcome!

Thank you Mark. tha is very helpful.

I did many searching online and was worry that maybe the eu2000i honda may not be able to handle my 1991 Spirit Roof AC. its a coleman TSR. but wasn't sure how much BTU. 

12 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Am I understanding you correctly that there is a fan inside our Honda 2000i?

aaa.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

If you put your hand by the exhaust end you can feel the air being pushed out.  What did not make any sense is that when I tried to separate the exhaust from the air flow the gen ran much warmer?

Hey Acsati! There is much discussion on this forum about running your roof AC with various genny's. I Do Not recommended the Honda 2000i as it only puts out 1600 continuous watts. In my situation my AC is 11.5 K unit and the mighty Honda performs well for me. Your  3000i should be fine. It's the weight of that big genny on your bumper that should be a major concern unless your rear bumper has been beefed up @ the welding shop. Just my 2 cents! Also, thanks Jim I just thought that was normal exhaust flow. It's quite a generator!

18 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Hey Acsati! There is much discussion on this forum about running your roof AC with various genny's. I Do Not recommended the Honda 2000i as it only puts out 1600 continuous watts. In my situation my AC is 11.5 K unit and the mighty Honda performs well for me. Your  3000i should be fine. It's the weight of that big genny on your bumper that should be a major concern unless your rear bumper has been beefed up @ the welding shop. Just my 2 cents! Also, thanks Jim I just thought that was normal exhaust flow. It's quite a generator!

ok,i take it to the shop to make sure of it.

thank you

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

On the receptical end if you look up above the control panel are openings for the intake air, surprisingly small area. Some have ducted this to enclose generator. 

Never noticed that before Jim thanks!

Summertime, I run my 100lb cheapo 3000 watt gen all the time on my rear cargo carrier and use it to power the AC while driving. Works just fine and can't even hear it when on the highway. I had some extra heavy gauge RV extension cord around, which I mounted permanently between the gen and the regular shore-power-cord storage box; connection is as simple as reaching in there to connect the two before hitting the road. 

On 6/28/2017 at 9:47 AM, markwilliam1 said:

Agree 100% ^ the solution to using smaller inverter generators is not in the generator; its in the AC unit.

I experimented with SUPCO Capacitors and was partially successful with a 13500 BTU coleman but the energy saver 11000 BTU unit run amazingly off my predator 2500 inverter which is just a smidgen more powerful than a 2000 honda; With the new energy efficient roof mounted AC in play we can take our dog, (a GSD) anywhere and leave him in comfort and in full compliance of any laws while getting groceries, treats etc.

Also to others point, oil sensors will get tripped from inclines while running while driving IF you are low on oil. The solution is to check oil level and keep filled to max, In my case it never trips as such. Even though the oil may get down to the half way mark on the dip stick and the generator might work fine while stationary, driving while running is a different animal entirely and demands that oil level be on "MAX" on the dipstick so that when inverted it still thinks its full.

Edited by Totem

Your insight and recommendations are Always Appreciated Totem! From a guy who's been everywhere. Thanks!

I have mounted the Honda eu2000i in the hitch running the 8000BTU window AC mounted above the fridge for almost 4 years without issue. It's much quieter than the build-in onan 2800. This setup gets lots of attention from bystander for some reasons. I ran an additional plug for the gen set with automatic power transfer scheme between shore line power, generator, and 2000W inverter. This is fairly complicated setup and I will share later if there is interest.

6 hours ago, Nam said:

I have mounted the Honda eu2000i in the hitch running the 8000BTU window AC mounted above the fridge for almost 4 years without issue. It's much quieter than the build-in onan 2800. This setup gets lots of attention from bystander for some reasons. I ran an additional plug for the gen set with automatic power transfer scheme between shore line power, generator, and 2000W inverter. This is fairly complicated setup and I will share later if there is interest.

Pretty simple plug the house cord into the generator.

Well it can be as simple as one would  want or as complicated as what I had done. Schematic is attached but my objective is to have either the house cord plugged in, generator running, or the inverter turned on and still have once source of power which does not interfere with each other as you know AC runs on 60Hz and we don't want to parallel sources without proper sync. check. I may have over done it but I don't want to accidentally fry the Honda generator or fry the inverter (this inverter has wired and wireless remote control). Also one other objective is to have the inverter NOT to charge back the coach battery as this circulation current just turns into heat and drains the battery in no time. So here we go....I meant to draw this in CAD but ran out of time...sorry about my chicken scratch but it works well for my purpose. I tried to label all wires and install a clear acrylic cover under the sofa bed so no one can accidentally touch hot/live wires. The far end is the new intelligent 35A DC converter/battery charger 

20170609_180449.jpg

20170609_180308.jpg

Edited by Nam

Nice setup i may steal it for my cabin in the woods. I forgot to unplug my predator once while the battery bank and inverter got turned on in broad high noon sun with wind also spinning the wind turbine too; the 4000 watt hf inverter did something damn strange - it spun the generator backwards like a starter. It was screaming in the background outside as it took the full load from the battery powered inverter. I thought for sure i fried it. Disconnected it. Started it ran and runs fine... i wonder if a honda would fair as well? 

I accidentally connected house power with the Honda generator once. Nothing happened at that time but I tried to prevent it from happening again so I came up with this scheme during a boring meeting at work. If you only need 30A, I  would highly recommend this relay as anything else I tried made big loud buzzing noise. 

YuCo YC-GP-DPDT-2 Power Relay 110/120V AC Coil 30Amp 2 Pole DPDT Heavy-Duty UL Listed RU https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SFYWO02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_snVxzbRZVZ01X

I did about the same thing for my toy. AC shore power, generator, inverter.

AC shore power to one leg of 30 amp ATS, the generator to the other. The powered output of the ATS went to a Xantrex ProSine 1800w inverter. The ProSine has a built in auto transfer switch (ATS).

The idea was no matter what I had for power the microwave and tv worked. The AC was priority, then the generator and last power choice was the inverter.

2 hours ago, WME said:

I did about the same thing for my toy. AC shore power, generator, inverter.

AC shore power to one leg of 30 amp ATS, the generator to the other. The powered output of the ATS went to a Xantrex ProSine 1800w inverter. The ProSine has a built in auto transfer switch (ATS).

The idea was no matter what I had for power the microwave and tv worked. The AC was priority, then the generator and last power choice was the inverter.

Yes the base order goes here as house AC has 1st priority, then generator, then the inverter. I also added disconnect for the DC converter when using the inverter. I will check out the Prosine

The use of the ATS's prevents you from back feeding power into the Campsite power grid if it fails and you just start the generator. Kinda of tough to power 5, 45ft rvs from a Honda 2000:lol:.

I've got the manual transfer, dumb setup.  Generator feeds an outlet in the cord compartment, shore cord is either plugged into generator or shore power.  I have to go outside to start the mighty little Honda anyway! Could not come up with room for auto setup.   

9 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I've got the manual transfer, dumb setup.  Generator feeds an outlet in the cord compartment, shore cord is either plugged into generator or shore power.  I have to go outside to start the mighty little Honda anyway! Could not come up with room for auto setup.   

Oh I hear you loud and clear. Setting 4 relays under the sofa bed with less than 12" of working clearance was a pain. I started in Nov. Of last year and didn't complete until like April. I did the manual plug in before thru the fridge outlet since the main house supply cord is on the other side of the MH and I can't dangle the cord while driving...

Edited by Nam

4 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I had this on my first RV, but since then I've had auto transfer and remote start. In the rain its awesome.

2 hours ago, WME said:

I had this on my first RV, but since then I've had auto transfer and remote start. In the rain its awesome.

My manual setup, uses far less gas, no electricity, no chance of mechanical failure and I take a towel and soap with me so stretch the use of the fresh water and grey tank :D