I dont know if I'm being paranoid or its just my mind playing tricks on me.Went on short road trip this weekend and transmission doesnt seem like its shifting properly.There were a couple times I noticed while driving in OD that it shifted to 2nd and 3rd ok but took a long time to kick into 4th or OD.One time I was driving about 40 -45 for what seemed like 4 to 5 minutes before last gear finally kicked in,in my mind I would think it should shift within 30 second to a minute at 45 mph staying the same speed,other times it seemed like it worked ok.I took a video,in this video I stay at 40 to 45 for 2 or 3 minutes waiting for it to shift into OD but it never does till I speed up to about 60 then it finally shifts.I noticed it doing this at least a couple times,is that normal?

Looks like the last time fluid was changed was almost 9 years ago to the day,but not many miles ago.It was done at 102,000 and I've got 123,000 on it now.They did flush and looks like they filled it with Pennzoil multi viscosity fluid.Fluid level is a little high,its a little above the 2nd notch.

I hate pulling the dipstick on tranny out on this thing,gotta fight like a mofo to get it to go back down tube,took me like 5 minutes to get it back in,the last 6 inches are a real yyyy,it gets hung up and doesn not want to go in

IMG_0586.JPG

Edited by redskinman

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Seems like 40 is a little to slow to be shifting into overdrive but is your ECT button turned on. That will delay shifting.

Linda S

On the shifting I'm not sure what speed it should be but 60 seemed like too high,and like I say at one point when I was driving around 45 for an extended period of time it did finally shift which makes me think its not working right.Neighborhood HOA has forced me to move RV out of driveway so I cant go check the ECT button,but if its pushed it would be an accident,do you know if a light comes on on the dash when its engaged? I have no extra light on dash on.

Edit: drove to storage lot,RV does not have ECT engaged,light comes on in dash when activated

Edited by redskinman

Here are your RPM's at 40 and 60. At 40 your just barely going fast enough to shift to 3rd. Only right 2 columns shows 2nd 3rd and 4th at 40 and 60mph. Couldn't copy it any better. No you don't want to shift to 4th at 40 and drop to 1525 rpm's. You would be lugging the engine and Toyota's hate that

Linda S

6015 9023
2 822 3287 4930
3 537 2148 3222
4 381 1525 2288

upshifting to OD will not happen till 60 unless you are going down hill - the shifting logic considers throttle position and load on engine.  Also the tranny on mine has a an electronic brain that I think sort of "learns" your habits.  After disconnecting the start battery, its memory is erased.

There are many posts on changing tranny fluid.   Getting the stick back in requires TWO hands - essentially one hand is feeding it in close to the tube.  When I pull mine it rotates about 90 degrees. I note it's orientation and put it back in the same way.   There is one place it likes to hang up ( there is a joint in the tube).

The service manual shows more shifting schedule - essentially giving charts for full throttle and idle throttle.  On my toy, on level land, it will upshift if no load or throttle (coasting downhill).  Driving at 60 on level ground in OD, even a slight hill will cause downshift unless I refrain from adding fuel pedal pressure and accept speed loss. 

On 6/26/2017 at 9:14 PM, linda s said:

Here are your RPM's at 40 and 60. At 40 your just barely going fast enough to shift to 3rd. Only right 2 columns shows 2nd 3rd and 4th at 40 and 60mph. Couldn't copy it any better. No you don't want to shift to 4th at 40 and drop to 1525 rpm's. You would be lugging the engine and Toyota's hate that

Linda S

6015 9023
2 822 3287 4930
3 537 2148 3222
4 381 1525 2288

Ok thanks

15 minutes ago, DanAatTheCape said:

upshifting to OD will not happen till 60 unless you are going down hill - the shifting logic considers throttle position and load on engine.  Also the tranny on mine has a an electronic brain that I think sort of "learns" your habits.  After disconnecting the start battery, its memory is erased.

There are many posts on changing tranny fluid.   Getting the stick back in requires TWO hands - essentially one hand is feeding it in close to the tube.  When I pull mine it rotates about 90 degrees. I note it's orientation and put it back in the same way.   There is one place it likes to hang up ( there is a joint in the tube).

The service manual shows more shifting schedule - essentially giving charts for full throttle and idle throttle.  On my toy, on level land, it will upshift if no load or throttle (coasting downhill).  Driving at 60 on level ground in OD, even a slight hill will cause downshift unless I refrain from adding fuel pedal pressure and accept speed loss. 

Ok thanks.It was my first overnight trip in it and I"m always expecting something to go wrong,hopefully I'm just being paranoid about it.

On the dipstick,yeah its a bugger.I checked fluid when I first bought it and had a hell of a time getting it back in.This time I checked it cold and got it back in fairly easy twice.Took it for a spin so I could check it while its hot  when I got back and I could not get that damn thing back in.Tried for about 5 minutes with engine running and couldnt do it,had to turn truck off and try some more and finally got it,and yes all these times i'm trying I am using 2 hands because like you said 1 handed is damn near impossible.Reason I had to turn truck off is because of the heat!! Which brings up another point,even though my temp gauge 95% of the time is at the 1/4 position I can feel the heat coming off this engine like no other vehicle I've ever owned,is yours like that? I took it for a 10 minute drive to check the fluid hot and when I got back and started fooling with that dipstick I had to turn engine off because of the fan blowing that hot hot heat on me.

• 3 months later...

To all:  The transmission shiftpoint's are determined by three main inputs= they are, the vehicle speed, the position of the throttle, & the load on the engine...  a pre-set criteria must be met for an upshift to occur...... donnie

1 hour ago, Donnie said:

To all:  The transmission shiftpoint's are determined by three main inputs= they are, the vehicle speed, the position of the throttle, & the load on the engine...  a pre-set criteria must be met for an upshift to occur...... donnie

The TV cable is the most important everything else relies on it's position. Broken it will shift up way too soon, too slack it will shift at too low a speed too tight it wall shift very late or may never get into the higher gears. No shift or erratic conditions are usually related to governor malfunction.