Battery Post Connections

Swedishfella

Most likely your white wires are - and the rest are + There is no set rule on RV colors but generally if you have black and white the white well be ground red, black etc positive. If your battery is  freshly charged be very careful about sparks it would be a good ideal to set it on the ground outside for awhile before you put it in. If it's just new you should be OK. 

Well, I was going to GUESS that the fat red wire was the -ve ground, the 3 white ones were +ve from the isolator and converter. The other 2? Who knows.The thin black one MIGHT be another -ve ground, the red one another +ve? OEM or added by a previous owner?

I'd break out my multimeter before connecting anything! :)

Attached is a copy of the 1993 Dolphin Owners Manual with some wiring diagrams. Better the wrong year 'map' than no map at all! :)

1993_Dolphin_Owners_Manual.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

With the exception of black wire, most should be positive. Please double check with continuety meter. Small positive wires should go thru some fuses before its destination

Being curious and not a big fan of burning motohomes, I chased my wires down.  My 94 Sea Breeze had a large red wire, like the one in the photo, it terminated near the entrance step and was just dangling there. Not hooked to anything, no sign of framework or attaching points for anything. Just a large red wire with an eye poorly crimped on the end with no obvious purpose?  The eyes on both ends were poorly attached, which I suspect the electrical tape is trying to compensate for in the picture. So first thing I would do is remove tape and see if eye is properly crimped on wire or at least give it a good yank to make sure it does not pop right off.  All terminals also need a good cleaning before using.

If I were going to trace these down I would suspect the black wire is the + and the larger white wire is the - or ground and be surprised if the red was original.   But I have been wrong lot's of times.  So better to figure out where the wires actually go than guessing.

If you have a genset (or there ever was one) , I guess that the heavy red wire went from + terminal at battery to genset starter solenoid. 

time to get out the multitester - find grounds, find the line to the engine battery/ alternator source.

21 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

If you have a genset (or there ever was one) , I guess that the heavy red wire went from + terminal at battery to genset starter solenoid. 

time to get out the multitester - find grounds, find the line to the engine battery/ alternator source.

That is a good answer,  my heavy red wire went nowhere, just ended by the step, nowhere near the generator. Maybe they started to add a second battery and gave up?

A mystery for the ages.