So why is it that we like Bilsteins so much? I finally caved and put the expensive Bilsteins on and I hate them. The ride can only be described as jarring. Might be a little better handling but on rough areas of the road I thought my cabinets were going to fall off the walls. Really regretting not just sticking with the KYB's

Linda S

33 minutes ago, linda s said:

So why is it that we like Bilsteins so much? I finally caved and put the expensive Bilsteins on and I hate them. The ride can only be described as jarring. Might be a little better handling but on rough areas of the road I thought my cabinets were going to fall off the walls. Really regretting not just sticking with the KYB's

Linda S

I really have to admire your saying it :D  If you are still running 65 psi you can make the ride a whole lot less jarring by reducing your pressure.

Went down to 50. Still not fun. I have to drive 700 miles round trip every month to work and there is a section of Highway 101 that is really bad. Had to slow down a lot to deal with the bumping. I have done this trip for a year. Not great there before but not like this. I might have to get the KYB's and change them out. I'm sure someone here will want a discounted set of Bilsteins. Going to give it at least another trip to see if I can get used to it. Can't imagine what it must be like on back country roads. I'm just talking about a rough freeway

Linda S

28 minutes ago, linda s said:

Went down to 50. Still not fun. I have to drive 700 miles round trip every month to work and there is a section of Highway 101 that is really bad. Had to slow down a lot to deal with the bumping. I have done this trip for a year. Not great there before but not like this. I might have to get the KYB's and change them out. I'm sure someone here will want a discounted set of Bilsteins. Going to give it at least another trip to see if I can get used to it. Can't imagine what it must be like on back country roads. I'm just talking about a rough freeway

Linda S

Does not sound right, even Bilsteins should not be that bad.  I wonder if something else is wrong?   

Have no idea what it could be. Seems my front shocks, the old KYB's, weren't bad. Only the back ones which is why I had so much bounce before. Front is where I notice it the most. And I didn't keep the old ones darn it.

Linda S

Sorry to hear, from now on don't throw anything out :P When shopping for shocks and so many insisting that Bilsteins are the only shocks to buy your posts caused me to look around a bit.  It appeared to me that they are a great shock for off road.  I don't have anything to compare the KYB to, but I am very happy with them and glad you recommended them.

Hi Linda,

Interestingly I installed 4 pcs. Of Bilsteins on the Itasca as well 6 months ago and we didn't take it out until now. Sitting in front, I thought the shocks make big improvement over the stocked one that we changed out...the rear ones almost didn't exist; however my wife said it was so bumpy...I run with around 45 PSI on a new set of Hancock R08 tires.

Not really sure what's what but I am not about to change them out at this time...if you happen to change to the KYB...I am interested in ride comparison...

6 hours ago, Nam said:

Hi Linda,

Interestingly I installed 4 pcs. Of Bilsteins on the Itasca as well 6 months ago and we didn't take it out until now. Sitting in front, I thought the shocks make big improvement over the stocked one that we changed out...the rear ones almost didn't exist; however my wife said it was so bumpy...I run with around 45 PSI on a new set of Hancock R08 tires.

Not really sure what's what but I am not about to change them out at this time...if you happen to change to the KYB...I am interested in ride comparison...

The shocks on my Toy were shot when I bough it so even the cheapest, junkiest new shock sold would have made a huge improvement.   The comparison will be interesting if she switches them out! 

Perhaps your Rader is a little too light for the heavy duty Bilsteins Linda. I know my rig is Heavy and I have Bilsteins X 4. I run 55lbs. in the front and 60lbs. in the rear. I have a balanced pretty smooth ride now. I remember my old Toyota SR5 truck rode harsh. Hope yours softens up some with time! 

The difference between old KYBs and new Bilsteins will be a lot. Try them for a bit and let them break-in and settle  some.

OR get yourself a tweed cap and make vroom, vroom noises going around corners

I also heard everyone's recommendations and went from well-used Rancho adjustables (in the back), via the PO, to Bilsteins.... Heck, the Bilsteins feel a lot softer to me. Might even change them back. (vroom, vroom) Gotta find something for the fronts now. Up there, I'm currently running old Gabriel Red Ryders. BTW, I'm running all tires at 60psi. Rig is about 5,800 lbs pre-provisioned. Guess I'll hold off switching back 'till I change out the fronts though.

TG

BTW II - If you're talking about south of Healdsburg, that stretch is famous around here.

Edited by ToyoGuy
Data

4 hours ago, ToyoGuy said:

I also heard everyone's recommendations and went from well-used Rancho adjustables (in the back), via the PO, to Bilsteins.... Heck, the Bilsteins feel a lot softer to me. Might even change them back. (vroom, vroom) Gotta find something for the fronts now. Up there, I'm currently running old Gabriel Red Ryders. BTW, I'm running all tires at 60psi. Rig is about 5,800 lbs pre-provisioned. Guess I'll hold off switching back 'till I change out the fronts though.

TG

BTW II - If you're talking about south of Healdsburg, that stretch is famous around here.

I should stop by and let you drive it. Maybe you will just tell me I'm nuts. Don't think the back is what is bothering me. Seems like the hard jarring is coming from the front mostly.

Linda S

I love my Bilsteins. 38,000 miles and they are great. As someone else said, may be your rig is too light. Mine weighs out a 6,600 #. My 84 dolphin did great with KYB's. 

Darrel.         

If Bilsteins are designed and marketed for specific vehicles, a Toy pickup can be from curb weight to 6000 lbs, why would the vehicle be too light?  Does not make any sense to me.  They are suppose to have great customer service, Linda should write or call them and ask.

On 6/18/2017 at 6:51 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

are the blisteins and KYB's the same light when fully extended?  with my added springs i needed longer ones

Here are specs for the correct rear KYB shocks. extended compressed and travel in order

KG5438    21.85   13.9    

7.95   and here are the Bilstein 

Bilstein 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber part # BIL24-002585 the measurements are 22.34 /14.09."

extended then compressed

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

Linda, thanks for your evaluation of the Bilstein shocks. Generously sharing your negative experience really assisted us in determining which shock (KYB or Bilstein) we should install. After 2000 miles of driving in our 6850 lb Rogue we're VERY happy we went with KYB's.

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

I am kind of getting used to them but I think I would have been happier with the KYB's. My pocket would have been too

Linda S

That's the tough part in the decision process as to which shock to buy. There is no way to test drive each brand on our specific RV. We just have to roll the dice and take our chances. Your evaluation however really helped to tip the scales in our decision for the KYB's. No way did we want to experience any sort of jarring ride in our various future travels. In our case these KYB's have exceeded our expectations. Throw in we got a lifetime guarantee for parts and labor really sealed the deal for us.

3 hours ago, Rogue Runner said:

That's the tough part in the decision process as to which shock to buy. There is no way to test drive each brand on our specific RV. We just have to roll the dice and take our chances. Your evaluation however really helped to tip the scales in our decision for the KYB's. No way did we want to experience any sort of jarring ride in our various future travels. In our case these KYB's have exceeded our expectations. Throw in we got a lifetime guarantee for parts and labor really sealed the deal for us.

I have put 10,000 miles on my KYB's and very happy with the decision to buy them. Can't imagine how another brand could be superior?