Propane Tank Leak

Nam

This antique propane tank leaks where the clear window (pressure gauge transducer is) as indicated by my leak detector. It empties the tank in about a month. Any idea as how to mitigate this issue? I am not even sure to how remove the tank either since it's under the closet inside (lift up from inside?) This is on 1990 Itasca Spirit.

1497798016234-390091006.jpg

What kind of leak detector do you have. Wondering how it can narrow it down to that. Bubble test will tell you exactly where the gas is coming out. Way more likely that it's the regulator right above the window than the tank itself. Those aren't difficult to change. Removing the tank and opening up a tank with flammable gas in it cause there's always some left is way more than I would try. Then that tank has to be flushed by a propane place to remove all the air before it can be refilled again. Do bubble test and get back to us. Totem did open his tank and replace some valves so he would be the best person to give advice here. Hope he see's the post or you could message him

Linda S

Hi Linda...I like the bubble idea...let me ask my kid for a bottle of that to try out. This is the one I use

Screenshot_2017-06-18-18-44-57.png

I use dollar store bubbles. I did have a regulator leak and when I went to Suburban to have them find the leak his bubble stuff was crap. I got out my dollar store stuff and you could see it immediately. He didn't charge me. Bubbles and spray bottle 2 bucks

Linda S

For years I used stuff called Mr Bubbles it was a mix for kids to make bubbles with a wand and it makes bubbles like you would not believe! When all of the freon laws came into effect I filled AC systems with Argon gas and used a spray bottle to look for leaks it works on anything that's under pressure if there is a leak you can't miss the bubbles better by far than any electronic device.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:03 PM, linda s said:

What kind of leak detector do you have. Wondering how it can narrow it down to that. Bubble test will tell you exactly where the gas is coming out. Way more likely that it's the regulator right above the window than the tank itself. Those aren't difficult to change. Removing the tank and opening up a tank with flammable gas in it cause there's always some left is way more than I would try. Then that tank has to be flushed by a propane place to remove all the air before it can be refilled again. Do bubble test and get back to us. Totem did open his tank and replace some valves so he would be the best person to give advice here. Hope he see's the post or you could message him

Linda S

Hi Linda,

Do you have a link to a good regulator which will work for the horizontal tank in my '85 Dolphin? Thanks!

2 hours ago, jmowrey said:

Hi Linda,

Do you have a link to a good regulator which will work for the horizontal tank in my '85 Dolphin? Thanks!

Try this company. Very good product. Stay away from Camco products.

http://propanewarehouse.com/product-category/propane-regulators/

Dolphins have removable tanks and mine is permanent. I would have to see what's there now to know what would fit. You want a dual stage regulator that would install with the vent going down. There are a couple on the site Fred posted.

This

https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/propane-regulators/175000-btu-horizontal-propane-regulator/

or this

https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/propane-regulators/175000-btu-vertical-propane-regulator/

Depending on whether your regulator is mounted vertically or horizontal

Linda S

Thanks to both Linda and Fred.

Now that I'm learning some things, I can see that my existing regulator is improperly mounted. The vent does not vent downward. It vents to the side. Near as I can tell, this regulator is very old. Difficult to know if it is the original. It's hard to believe National RV would install a stock regulator that doesn't meet code specs for venting. But regardless, the regulator looks pretty old. So I will be replacing it with one that vents downward. In my wandering and reading about this I ran across something that said the maximum allowable divergence from directly downward is a 45 degree angle.  Apparently this is to allow the vent to release moisture from the system without danger of it collecting in the vent and then freezing or otherwise compromising the vent. The way my tank is mounted, I can accomplish that with a horizontal mount, downward venting regulator. Here's what I'm thinking of going with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072L3AKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's dual stage, 200,000 BTU max flow, and has a built in excess flow safety feature.

As Fred mentioned, I also found several reviews that warn agains Camco regulators.

Joe

17 minutes ago, jmowrey said:

It's hard to believe National RV would install a stock regulator that doesn't meet code specs for venting.

Haven't seen your installation, but I suspect that what was installed was to Code (at least at the time, 1985). Hard to guess what any owner has done since.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the bubble and I could not see the bubble as I think the leak is inside the hidden gap as I did hear the leaking sound changes when spraying with bubble. I'm want to use up this tank and replace the gauge gasket to see if leak still occurs

I don't understand. You took a picture of the gauge and it clearly shows and you can't see bubbles coming from it but you still think it's leaking there? If it's leaking anywhere and you used kids bubbles that whole compartment would fill with bubbles.

Linda S

Mine valve leaked at the valve stem. Could not repair it. Bad news was the valve was no longer manufactured. Took a couple of days but I was able to find one for about $195. Not all valves are alike. so double check for the correct one.

Thanks Greg! I am confident that the leak is at the gauge. Once I use up what's left, I'll open it and seal it. Hopefully that will fix the issue. I have one more camping trip to Monterey this coming week then I think all the propane will be gone by then

The gauge isn't much more than a window. I agree with Linda if it's leaking you are going to have bubbles. Just out of curiosity why do you think you have a leak? Once filled a saddle propane tank  will smell of propane for  a couple of days because of the venting required to fill it. Your regulator probably meet code when it was installed some had caps that directed the venting downwards bottom line other than keeping water out it does not matter how it vents. It takes a lot of pressure to make a propane tank vent.

Please resist the temptation to open the damn tank. Who ya gonna have purge it after. Needs to be purged with nitrogen. Empty tanks can still have lots of pressure inside and flammable stuff left. How ya gonna seal it. No bubbles means it's not leaking at the tank. More likely from another place, water heater, fridge, stove. Try spraying there with bubbles

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Please resist the temptation to open the damn tank. Who ya gonna have purge it after. Needs to be purged with nitrogen. Empty tanks can still have lots of pressure inside and flammable stuff left. How ya gonna seal it. No bubbles means it's not leaking at the tank. More likely from another place, water heater, fridge, stove. Try spraying there with bubbles

Linda S

Thanks for the advice everyone including Linda. I have to do some more diagnosis. I believe the leak is in the gap between the gauge and the tank (where I inserted the card) when spraying bubble liquid I only heard the leaking sound changes...no bubble that I could see. I actually hear and smell propane right where the tank is with the valve close. I will take a video to see if you have different idea. The tank is now less than 1/4 full

20170711_215221.jpg

Edited by Nam

There is an "O" ring in there that is why it stands proud of the housing. If you did not get bubbles it's not leaking. If you can hear a leak it's a really big one. The stink in propane  is the same sort chemicals that a skunk ejects (mercaptain) if you have ever had a dog you know how long that lasts. When those tanks are filled during the entire process the gas has to be purged to allow the liquid in there is a pretty healthy cloud of it. Until all of the liquid is gone ( boils off) from a tank it is a dangerous thing and yes once opened it will have to be purged. This is generally not a do it yourself project with any propane tank. 

I have good news to share. I actually mixed my own bubble this evening with dish soap and water. Sprayed on and actually found the leak...big leak where the gauge window is...which I didn't see last time since I didn't look below the gauge. I then used large screw bit to tight up all 4 screws. I believe they were not very tight before as after I broke thru the paint, I turned them at least 2 rounds. Sprayed again....voila....no more leak. I will test with my electronic detector tomorrow to confirm. When the remaining 1/4 tank is used up, I will fill again to see but for now I am confident that the problem had been fixed. Thanks again for all your valuable pieces of advice. I am so glad that Linda suggested not to open the tank. Here are pictures before the leak repair 

20170712_204401.jpg

20170712_204442.jpg

20170712_204446.jpg

20170712_210227.jpg

Edited by Nam