Camper battery power problem

muffduff

When I plug into shore power, everything works great. When I unplug, nothing works. I tested the camper battery and was getting 12v from it. I replaced all the fuses I could find. I have an isolater and a camper battery kill switch under the hood. This wasn't an issue previously but I recently had a new alternator put in because the previous one failed - when I got the camper back I couldn't get things to work without plugging in. The power panel, however, works fine. It lights up and shows the battery level etc. If I hit the kill switch under the hood, the panel won't work. For the life of me, I can't find the converter or any other breakers or fuses. I'm at a loss as to what's wrong. I am attaching a picture of what it looks like when I open the back hatch, where I plug in and also the fuse panel / breaker. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ?????‍♂️?

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

7 hours ago, muffduff said:

This wasn't an issue previously but I recently had a new alternator put in because the previous one failed - when I got the camper back I couldn't get things to work without plugging in.

This caught my attention immediately. Who installed the alternator?

It shouldn't be a complicated system, but there's no telling what changes might have been made over the years.

Sunrader Wiring Diagram.pdf

That also is a strange set up for your converter/charger they are supposed to be powered by the 120 volt load center. The ideal of a male plug coming out of the power panel where there should be none kind of looks dangerous. Is this what you plug in to make it work? Or is it the large black big 3 pin plug standard RV cable? I'm guessing someone damaged the original cable  and that orange thing was a half vast repair. The horizontal fuse in the panel is the main 12 volt feed it probably is 30 amp that would bring everything to a halt  plugged in or not though. The converter is part of the load center it is behind where the breakers are. All of that side where the breakers are has lethal voltage plugged in so be sure it's unplugged in before tinkering anything in there. 

I had my mechanic, a 22r Toyota expert and also a knowledgeable sunrader individual, install the alternator. I trust him, he knows his stuff. I'm not sure if maybe things possibly got hooked back up incorrectly? @Maineah yes the orange extension cord is how I plug into shore power - didn't realize it wasn't standard ?    - at this point I'm thinking the isolater went bad ( not sure if that would not let the battery feed to the motor home or not?! ) or maybe the converter is bad. I'm not sure how to access the converter given that it's in the same box as the fuse panel and not directly accessible. I'm attaching images from under the hood to see if anyone noticed anything strange. I'm not experienced in electrical at all and am trying to learn as I go. The motor home battery is at full charge but for some reason isn't making it back to the cabin. Thanks again for any help or insights. 

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

assuming the alternator is doing what it is supposed to do (charge start battery and provide 14vdc while engine running), the only thing that the mechanic could have screwed up is the connection that feeds the charging circuit to the house battery.

IF the house battery is COMPLETELY dead, it could present the symptoms as described. 

Assuming the house battery is being charged when the engine is operating, the power converter comes into question.  when the 120vac is removed, the power converter is probably designed with a relay that takes the house battery out of the circuit when AC is present. It also is supposed to charge the battery when AC is present. 

All of these things can be checked fairly easily with a multi tester - by measuring AC and DC voltages in various configurations.