Hi All! Not a fan of the old fake wood paneling look. Some like the warm & cosy look from the 80's. I wanted a bright & modern open look inside. Makes Grannie look bigger inside. Got rid of the old noisy overhead stove vent as it just re-circulated the air inside, no outside vent & poor lighting from that tiny bulb! Replaced with an LED fixture. It seemed to opened up the Galley some LOL! Stripped & refinished the Oak cabinet doors. Installed Oak trim on the sidewalls and ceiling where the old vinyl strips were. I just need to install my MaxAir vent by the upper bunk and All is Done! Lots of work but I'm very satisfied!1a.thumb.JPG.17f91951d705c9a3d021b3adbf9cf7dc.JPG2a.thumb.jpg.316376092f9ea9df13d554bfcb4901eb.jpg3a.thumb.JPG.38b995b9a2b4695cbd4f9a31ea7741bc.JPG4a.thumb.jpg.b99442641266dfe2a5d7426e87636f16.jpg5a.thumb.jpg.92cb677cb314a59881b1fe68b536dc83.jpg6a.thumb.jpg.63837aa4a67dc6fac6218f98e8ee978a.jpg7a.thumb.jpg.f2c31ec3e6383a7b9948b6b7f8a86b8a.jpg1.thumb.jpg.d4390eaa2a85a1c7ecc61691f7313fb9.jpg2.thumb.jpg.9aad4e1a8e68c4d390cd3af935c6b7d7.jpg3.thumb.jpg.6da0d8e93c9969d0417a30db34668728.jpg4.thumb.jpg.804ef4268524833c6200a4cb8cb07ba1.jpg5.thumb.jpg.7fac15096467f2956c3989d0a4774f1d.jpg6.thumb.jpg.c067387d0587bf4cedfb6d2fd06f65b8.jpg7.thumb.jpg.71a5652033e00949b48503bee7a15b9a.jpg                                         

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

Very nice!  And I like the idea of removing the stove vent - it is intrusive and not very useful. 

Thanks K! Many Toy homes I've seen have an outside vent that the stove vent connects to or the vent itself has the gauges integrated into it. Mine had neither and it was ugly! So goodbye. I'll use my Maxx Air powered overhead vent instead and enjoy the larger space by the oven with a bright light overhead.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

• 2 weeks later...

Final Face Lift details: just installed a Maxx Air powered vent fan by the upper bunk and a new Edwin window for her coach door. I couldn't stand that frosted glass! This window was very pricey but it has a metal frame, clear tinted glass and it slides open. I can now see out! Sweet! Can't think of any more improvements. Time to enjoy!!

Edited by markwilliam1
error

Sure! The manufacture is Duncan Systems. It's an Edwin window. I bought it from eBay's Camping World site. Crazy $$ but I love it. Can see out now and a breeze with the door closed. I got white but black is also available. Installation was a bit tricky so if you buy it you can PM me for # and I'll tell you what I had to do. You won't be disappointed!

Edited by markwilliam1
error

That's it Linda! 

thanks linda, mark. this is where things have started. this is not even borderline acceptable. the inside is missing the frame completely. so the choices are, a new window that opens, functions, and is not completely a blot. Or cleanup and just proper framing.

There are these things that are tempting,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JR-Products-11011-RV-Deluxe-Entry-Door-Window-Frame-Set-White/272499940003

but I am not convinced they will serve the purpose. Very tempted to replace the thing in the first go.

20170630_195717.jpg

As long as your glass is not broken that frame will be fine. Very few motorhomes have doors with windows that open. You have so much other stuff to buy. Glass cleans up pretty easy. It going to be harder to clean up all the junk on your door

Linda S

What Linda said is so true! Lots of other more important things to purchase or repair. Since I've been restoring Grannie for over a year now and she done, I'm @ the point of buying what's not necessary or needed now. I could have just replaced the glass as Linda suggested but I wanted something special! Good Luck to you!

MARK AND I HAVE BEEN FRIENDS FOR DECADES. THIS IS HIS SECOND RIG. HE WAS INFECTED WITH THE "BUG" AFTER SEEING A REALLY NICE OLDER RIG IN A PARKING LOT NEAR MY CABIN IN SOUTHERN OHIO. HE HAS PERFORMED A SPECTACULAR RENOVATION OF HIS BELOVED "GRANNIE". HE HAS LITERALLY DONE EVERYTHING !! I AM SO PROUD OF HIS INTERIOR REDO. I AM A RETIREDTRIM CARPENTER/CABINET MAKER. AND HIS ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS WELL RECOGNIZED AND APPLAUDED. HE HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB AND THE PRAISE WOULD BE VALIDATED EVEN IF HE WERE NOT MY VERY BEST TOYOTAMOTOR HOME BUDDY,  HE REMAINS TOTALLY INTO HIS RIG. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT OTHER "IMPROVEMENTS" HE COULD POSSIBLY MAKE TO HIS RIG, BUT I KNOW HE WILL COME UP WITH SOMETHING. WHICH BEGS THE QUESTION, AS HIS BEST FRIEND, SHOULD I TRY TO FIND A REHAB PROGRAM FOR HIM ?, HE OBVIOUSLY NEEDS HELP !  LOL. GREAT LOOKING RIG MARK. JOB WELL DONE. JOE FROM DOVER. 

Thanks Joe! I'll pay you back that case of beer I promised you if you would post something nice about Grannie LOL!! Seriously though Best Friends:-)!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scarlett! The window is an Edwin's RV door window. Google it. Very Expensive but I'm dressing Grannie up! I had the old frosted door window I hated. I could have just replaced the glass but my old plastic frame had cracked. Now I have full view outside and the window opens also for more fresh air. It doesn't have a screen because you already have a inner door screen. Thanks for the compliment! Lots of work! I also recently installed  Maxxfan Deluxe by the bunk. An Amazing improvement!

OK, got it.  I thought you'd bought a new door with an opening window.  Wasn't clear on the concept.  Everyone seems to prefer the Maxx fans hands down over other brands.  I've read several reports elsewhere that it's best not to install fans directly over the bed because under windy rainy conditions water can blow in onto bedding.  Where did you install yours?  Unless I am very lucky, a fan installation is bound to be one of my first improvements in a new-to-me old Toy.

BTW, my "weekly" driver is my farm truck, an '82 Toy pickup with the 22R/manual I've owned since new.  So fond of this engine am I that I intend to buy a Toy with same.  Ditto the manual tranny.  I've never owned a vehicle with automatic and find I truly enjoy shifting.  My pickup is a wonder!   Are you happy with your choice of the 22RE? 

My door itself is in perfect condition just wanted a window to look out and the fact that is also opens is a plus! I installed the MaxxFan by my upper bunk. I have a good original fan in the rear bath but its nothing like the MaxxFan Deluxe. Was in a major storm by Lake Erie last week. Winds & Downpours and nothing got inside the MaxxFan! It has a remote and opens and closes automatically. Can bring cool air inside also. It's reversible! Vastly superior to the Fantastic fan in my opinion. The 22RE is Bullet Proof but has No power pulling our rigs. I've read it's the best 4 banger ever made. Finding a stick shift will be difficult Scarlett unless you want a 22R carburetor not fuel injected. Since I'm retired I'm in no hurry anymore. I drive Grannie around 57 mph on the freeway and watch people fly by me.....I just smile! PS, my first truck was a Toyota Hilux Pickup 22R with a stick like yours. Best little truck I've ever owned! Best & Good Luck in your search!

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

Good report on your Maxx Deluxe!  Sounds like the way to go.  I've owned three VW Westy's & have traveled in extensively since the 60's.  My current Westy, an '85 water cooled model I've traveled with on & off since '99 is currently being prepared for sale.  I've been as far afield as Guatemala & have adventured to mainland Mexico dozens of times for months on end.  Having said that, clearly speed or luxury has never been a priority! 

The same RVers who claim Toy homes are unacceptable feel the same about a VW.  Again, one size does not fit all when it come to "motorhomes."   The world now being what it is, or likely to become, the canvas pop top of my VW no long feels secure.  But a Toy home will fit the bill nicely.  I am expert at traveling light & slowly.  But you are correct about the difficulty finding a Toy with a 22R/manual.  They do exist, however.  

For months into the future I will be slaving here on my cottage in the wild woods, dealing with all the deferred maintenance issues that are typical on a rural homestead.   As I write this I am waiting for the Watco Danish oil to soak into the floor to ceiling built-in bookcase I am refinishing.  After a good hand buffing, it's on to the next project of the day.

I will enjoy your trip report to view the upcoming eclipse.  What fun!  For me it's all work & no play, but if all holds together I look forward to a new rig & new adventures.

I bet you have a wonderful place. If you lived closer I'd come visit! You can fine many manual tranny Toys but I think all of them would have the 22R (carburetor model) and be an older version....not sure. I'm also not sure but I think when the 22RE (fuel injected) came out the transmissions were auto. You know about the axle recall on older rigs 86 and under I believe? Very important! 

16 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

...You know about the axle recall on older rigs 86 and under I believe? Very important! 

Yes, I do now.  Months ago when I was looking to buy a Toy I learned about this--thanks in great part to Derek & Linda S who, by the way, have damn sharp eyes when viewing even the poorest CL pics. 

I'd be plenty happy with the 22RE engine as well.  But it's good I gave up looking before.  It would have been too great a distraction.   Now I have something really great to look forward to when all this bloody hard work is finally done.

I am truly overwhelmed with getting this place in shape to sell.  Only a madwoman would attempt it!  And yes, it's beautiful here with great weather.  But I've no longer any time for visitors/guests, even for a day.  If I'm going to make my great new plunge I must keep my eye on the prize.  (I've finished buffing off the excess Watco Danish Oil & am having some iced green tea before on to the *next* job, removing a toilet so I can install some ceramic tile up the walls in the enclosure...)   

BTW, the upholstery in your rig looks first rate!  Did you have it done or was it like that when you bought your Toy?

Thank Derek for correcting me! Scarlett this Granville has a luxury upgraded coach and all the upholstery is original. It has that swivel Captain's chair that moves forward and back & reclines. 2 tables that can be moved & put in 2 spots on the floor. Tons of counter space and has a large pull out cabinet rack by the fridge with many metal bins that can be rearranged for even more storage. The cab & seats are an upgrade also. Wood trim and shifter on the floor. Very comfortable seats with the same upholstery. Has a bath tub also! I added the high rise porcelain toilet for my long legs Lol. Being 6'4" I duck a lot and wish I had more leg room in the cab but I love her! Bought it from my elderly Pastor's parents with 36K original miles. They never listed it for sale so I was Very Lucky! I've had it for 2 years. I hope you find one you can love also:-) PS I wish more members would post pictures of their rigs! Many of us would love to see them.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

...this Granville has a luxury upgraded coach and all the upholstery is original... Being 6'4" I duck a lot and wish I had more leg room in the cab but I love her!  Bought it from my elderly Pastor's parents with 36K original miles.

Well, that explains a lot!  I've not before seen or heard of a Granville.  From which coach maker is it upgraded?  As to your having bought it from your elderly Pastor's parents, etc....all I can say is "somebody" up there must be in your corner.  I can tell you one thing, I'm not likely to find any Toy half so lovely & pristine as that anywhere, but in CA it is bound to cost me ten times more!   Perhaps one day soon you'll post more pics.  A recliner, no less.  What decadence!  But then, at 6'4 it's likely a true necessity. 

(I watched a YouTube toilet removal video.  Appeared to be a quick easy job.   But I wasn't fooled.  Even with a can of WD-40 & tools on hand, there's always a hitch.  A rusty bolt breaks off, a shut off valve that won't turn, something.  I'm resting & letting the WD do its' job.  Also wondering how much the damn thing weighs & can I lift it & where I might unearth a big piece of cardboard to set it on & drag safely to the door across my beautiful Talavera tile floor...)

Wish me luck.  That toilet is almost as big as I am.

Grandville is the coach maker. This one had all the upgraded options (except the toilet Lol) This rig didn't look like it does now when I bought it. Filthy, cracked trim, original metal roof untreated, 20 year old tires & dry rot, black mold everywhere. If you look @ my post "The Magic of Zep" you'll see the restored outside now. You're probably right about finding an affordable one in Cally. Maybe a fixer upper but restoring can be daunting work! I paid $4500 for her and have put an additional $4000 into her. So not cheap. I was lucky that the interior was in good shape but needed a major makeover. She never had a leak Anywhere. She sat for many years in a barn. Be careful with your toilet! If I was closer I'd help. I'm getting older but am still strong! And Yes, I'm truly Blessed!

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

...If you look @ my post "The Magic of Zep" you'll see the restored outside now... I was lucky that the interior was in good shape but needed a major makeover. She never had a leak Anywhere.

Your exterior Zep job is incredible.  Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.  And now aware of the extent of your restoration, inside & out, I am knocked out at what you've accomplished.

Like I've said, when I am finally done with seemingly endless list of repairs & restoration to my cottage I will be in *no state of mind* for major Toy restoration.  I am skilled with a sewing machine, love sanding & painting woodwork: I'd even be willing to install new flooring.  But I *must make certain* I choose a Toy without water damage.  (At least one that has lived its life in CA or the desert SW should have little rust underneath.) 

Without the collective experience, wisdom, humor & kindness of this Toy forum I would never be confident to tackle a Toy.

BTW Mark, speaking of your bath tub:  I knew a couple who, when boon docking in their rig, plug the tub while showering then use the water to wash a small load of clothes.   Will this upcoming trip you have planned for "eclipse viewing" be your first real trip since completing the restoration?  

(The toilet removal will continue.  One of the bolts needs holding firmly while I unscrew the nut with my other hand, but access is tricky.  Also the headlamp bulb failed.  I never carry on when I am tired & frustrated.  Perhaps if it will fit, I might just cut off the offending bolt with a hacksaw.  Tomorrow is another day!  

Frankly My Dear I appreciate your compliments! I don't use the tub. Couldn't imagine even getting in there to take a shower! It's now my spare closet without a door. And yes No Leaks! I've seen so many postings of members tearing out entire walls and such. A nightmare!

• 1 month later...

Hi mark, I received my Maxx fan and when I took down my vents in my toy I found that I have 12 volt power to the bathroom vent which is in the rear. I do not have power for the center vent which is where I was hoping to install the maxxfan. Do you think I will be disappointed if I put it in the bathroom

Find a power source near the center outlet. Use a fish tape to pull wires through the roof OR just surface mount plastic conduit cable strips. http://www.electriduct.com/Cable-Raceways.html

Edited by WME

You can tap in to the hot side of the switch and run your fan with out the light.

Is the black the hot?  Also why is there two white and two black going into each fixture, single and double fixtures.   I'm new to this 12 volt system,  can I take one of each wire from the two that are there?

20170820_153452.thumb.jpg.1385f6ee21961f00b87fb668c1a77184.jpg