1979 Toyota Dolphin Dash electrical problem

Rockin

Just bought a '78 Dolphin.  The previous owner tried adding stuff he shouldn't have and as I drove from a little town in upper MN, a storm made me realize that more than ever.  The wipers would not work, the fuse kept blowing.  Thanks to RainX, I drove right through without a hitch.  

The hitch is, now I want to fix this.  Any advice?

Thanks!  Rockin

Thanks Derek,   I will Clean and lube the wiper linkage! Great idea!

But the wipers worked for a short time (enough for me to believe they were fine), when I first picked up the Dolphin.  Even when I didn't turn them on, the fuse still blew.  I think it is definitely a wiring problem. THis guy had a 30 amp fuse in a 20 and it still blew.  I have to rewire the whole dash maybe.  Need to figure this out!  Thanks again.

Most of the relay style isolators run on power spliced into the wiper wiring it maybe worth a shot to disconnect it and see what happens. Unless stock wiring is disturbed ( cut's, damage and splices) they usually cause no issues the wiper will have power even turned off as long as the key is on this is how they park. If you eliminated the isolator possibility try disconnecting the wiper connection to the motor and see what that does. It's good that the issue is present intermittent problems are much harder to find.

wiper motors do crap out.  You might want to put power directly to motor and determine if the motor is ok before assuming you have a wiring issue.

It is an electric motor and working a little before failing is not unheard of.  Also, someone trying a larger fuse to "get by" might do exactly that - for a short time.

I was just speaking a neighbor who had a Hyundai last year (now in something else). He told me a story of getting caught in a vicious run storm and his wipers quitting - turned out the motor died and the dealer wanted $600 to repair. He got it done elsewhere for about 1/2 that.  The motor was the issue - unique and basically impossible to rebuild

Thanks Gentlemen.  I will look into this, try putting power to the motor, I hope you are correct.  That would make it much easier.... except finding a new motor!  

Again, Thanks!

I second Maineah's thoughts. Go back to basics. Check all wiring associated with the wiper motor. If the isolator is pulling power from the wiper harness disconnect it also. Then start reconnecting wires, with the isolater being last. One problem with using power from the wiper harness it removes power from the wiper motor itself. Your wipers should have two speeds (low/high). If you only have one speed find another wire to power the isolator.

Fred, Maineah, Dan and Derek, 

Thanks, this is great information and will save me lots of time.  I do have a Chilton's repair book, and it includes a wiring diagram. I'd thought of tracing the wires ~ so thanks for encouraging that and isolating some of the related parts I need to check. I will get back to you all once I can get over and work on this.  R

Edited by Rockin

Just unplug the wiper motor if it stills blows the fuse it's not the motor. It still however can be whatever is attached to the wiring like the isolator wire if it has one.