Coach door caught in wind, broken

92 spirit door opened and wind violently slammed it open.  All the screw on the bottom half of the door were moved through the wood, so the door wouldn't shut.  The door hit on the latch side.  Pulled the screws on outside of the door and pushed on the latch side and used some screws on the inside as a temporary fix.

Any ideas on fixing?

Hard to say without seeing. Perhaps the next size up in screws could pull it back together? If not, I'd guess you might have to take it apart and replace any damaged wood framing. Like the rest of your 'home, they're not exactly built with much 'structure'. :(

The doors are a simple build. Remove the door and unscrew the trim and the window trim. The door skin should come off and you can replace the rotten wood and put it all back together for another 20 years.

Although pictures are deceiving I do not see damage to the frame.  Take the door off the Toy and disassemble it, I will guess you have wood rot to repair while you have it apart. Take lot's of pictures as you disassemble in case you get confused, can always delete them later.

If you're hesitant about taking the door apart, watch a few videos. You'll quickly learn that they're very simple and not originally built by highly skill craftsmen with exotic materials or techniques.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rv+door+rebuild&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=FcY9WcHvCcLYjwTqkLPYBQ

The bottoms of all RV doors rot out  after time there is not much to them and they were made of soft untreated pine. I have rebuilt several I just rip pressure treated to the frame size I use long torx drive screws to pull it all together. Some of them glue the thin aluminum skin to the plywood it's a pain to get off without damaging the skin just be careful, it's a fairly simple job if you are some what handy with wood work. Some you will find that there is nothing other than styrofoam inside no plywood at all.

Thanks!  I think I needed the confidence boost to do this.  I really am happy with the spirit,  if there was one thing that bothered me was the wind noise due to the door.  Any advice on the rebuild to reduce wind noise?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The bottom of my door rotted out a while back and I rebuilt it with a little more framing than what they originally used.  I just used regular Home Depot white wood and a little epoxy glue and some screws.  I still haven't painted the outside of the door to match the rest of the motorhome, but its on the list...

John

• 1 month later...

There is no wood in your door, sorry. I have the same door and had same problem. Did not take pictures of my repair.

The internal construction is a Styrofoam cooler material. Small white beads compressed together. I conviently had a old counter top made of wood with white laminate on one side. Cut a piece to fit the bottom of the door where the trim piece is about 9 inches. This made the bottom very rigid. I used polyurethane calk-glue in all of the screw holes and where else I could squeeze it in. Use a syring, fill it with glue and squirt into screw holes. I made a brace for the top outside right out of aluminum diamond plate and riveted it on. 

You may be able to see the outside construction from these pictures? I'm not where I can take pictures.

If you come to Oregon I can supply you with the wood for the bottom of the door.

My door is very solid-rigid.

20170722_164406.jpg

20170717_215011.jpg

20170710_164140.jpg

20170711_141448.jpg