Converter/inverter on 85 Escaper

Mike W

Trying to get on the road.  Shore power is fine battery 12v not working. Mechanic said converter is bad. I have a device under hood which has wire to battery that he says is bad converter.

i also have a box behind my circuit breakers/fuse box in power cord storage.  What is that an inverter?

Assistance or advice welcome.

Under the hood is probably an isolator. Inside is probably a converter (not to be confused with an inverter). Photos would probably allow positive ID.

A bad isolator would stop the truck alternator from charging your coach battery. A bad converter would stop the 'shore power' from charging your coach battery. Or maybe your coach battery is bad and won't take a charge from either. I'd have it tested before you start throwing parts at it. :)

Derek is right, post pictures. Your descriptions and your mechs don't match.

The yellow box is under the hood.

the rest are of the other box which is connected to the breakers and out to the cabin outlets etc.

thanks for help,

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

So did you check all those 12 volt fuses? sometimes they are bad even though they look OK. Try replacing all of them. Also replace wire going from battery to that 12 volt fuse box. I just had to replace the wire going from my inverter to my battery. Crack in rubber coating caused the wire to degrade. Check ground for battery too. Grounds are the problem lots of times

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

the under hood pic looks like a solenoid/isolater - directs power from the alternator to the batteries.  Easy to check if it is functioning with a multitester. Check for dc voltage before and after starting engine.  One wire should run to the house battery and one to the start (engine) battery.   With engine off, should get 12.5 volts. Immediately after shutting off engine it will be higher but will return to normal.  With engine running you are looking for something in higher  13 - 14.5 VDC,

Assuming DC voltage is getting past isolater on the way to house battery, then I would follow the circuit all the way to the battery.  There are probably one or mode circuit breakers on the way.   Each connection will cause a small voltage drop (about 1/10th of a volt)

Some terminology:

1) Isolater or solenoid : designed to disconnect house battery from start battery so running down house battery will not impact start battery - so you can start the engine later.

2) Invertor:  changes 12vdc to something else - in the RV world that would be 120vac. Handy when running on house battery/

3) Power converter (AKA converter) .  AN electrical panel that includes a 12vdc fuse section and a 120vac section. Also includes a 12vdc charger that runs when 120vac power is present (from shore power or a generator).  Ofter includes a switching device that takes the house battery out of the circuit when shore power is present (the 12vdc charger then runs ALL dc devices AND also charges the house battery).  Older PC's have a cooling fan that kicks in when the charger gets hot.  Older ones like the era when these campers humm when generating 12vdc.