Using Zep

redskinman

I got a gallon at Home Depot and put it on with a small rag. Several thin coats (4-5 maybe).  A little goes a long way. Make sure you clean the camper Really, Really well. Anything you don't get off will be sealed in!

Used an air powered jitter bug sander with wet&dry paper (wet), to clean and remove fuzzies. I used 600-1200 grit paper depending on how bad things were. 5 coats with 6 on the front. First coats look bad, just keep going

1 year old , WY winter, looks good

Edited by WME

23 minutes ago, WME said:

Used an air powered jitter bug sander with wet&dry paper (wet), to clean and remove fuzzies. I used 600-1200 grit paper depending on how bad things were. 5 coats with 6 on the front. First coats look bad, just keep going

1 year old , WY winter, looks good

What fuzzies? Before putting it on or after putting it on you had fuzzies?

Fuzzies were the old naked siding and fiberglass panels

I posted the entire process with pictures when I Zepped Grannie last year. Should be able to find it under my posts. As others have said surface prep is the key! If you apply the Zep over Any imperfections it will be sealed under the Zep. Applying the Zep is the easy part. Surface prep is the hard part! Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't show up with a Search, but it's come up before.

As mentioned above (and like a paint job), preparation is the key. Any blemishes will be sealed in but not hidden.

Me too,did you try it?

I dont know what other word to search for than just putting in Zep,maybe Led Zep?:D

51 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

I posted the entire process with pictures when I Zepped Grannie last year. Should be able to find it under my posts. As others have said surface prep is the key! If you apply the Zep over Any imperfections it will be sealed under the Zep. Applying the Zep is the easy part. Surface prep is the hard part! Good Luck!

I see your siding is different then mine,do you think it will help mine?

toyota.JPG

Edited by redskinman

Yes!! They are both fiberglass panels. Will work perfectly!! I would kindly dispute Derek. I say 90% elbow grease and 10% Zep. It was a bear to clean the old fiberglass. That's where Bar Keepers Friend (powder form) comes into play! Post pictures!

36 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Yes!! They are both fiberglass panels. Will work perfectly!! I would kindly dispute Derek. I say 90% elbow grease and 10% Zep. It was a bear to clean the old fiberglass. That's where Bar Keepers Friend (powder form) comes into play! Post pictures!

I bought some of the bar keepers friend in the bottle. :)

Marks corrugated fiberglass was known to get fiberglass threads sticking out if it and making it look fuzzy. Very hard to clean up. Your smooth panels will be much easier to clean before the Zep is applied.

Linda S

Linda is correct. My panels did have some uneven spots but no threads sticking out. I used the powder form as I think it has better abrasion properties than the liquid. The Zep sealed everything so well I can run my hand down the fiberglass and is smooth as silk now. You won't be disappointed red!!

Thanks for the help everyone.Started washing it tonight but it got dark before I finished.Luckily I dont have a lot of bad stains.I had 2 streaks coming down from the rear window that I was scrubbing and scrubbing with a sponge with the bar keepers friend and it was rough going,didnt want to come off.I had some spray cleaner I bought at the dollar store called "Awesome" that I sprayed on the streaks and it took it right off,not impressed with the bar cleaners friend,powder form might work better but the Awesome spray was awesome:D

Thanks Al that's important coming from you as you were my Mentor when I first got Grannie! Red I didn't use a sponge I used those green scrubbing pads. Went through a bunch of them! The powder form of BKF took off 30 plus years of grime, mildew and stains! Glad you found something that works. Also when applying the Zep I used those micro fiber cloths and as WME suggested put the wet cloth in a zipped lock bag to re-use it. I still get the occasional black streaks but just spray a little simple green and they wipe right off. Can't wait to see your completed rig! Your gunna be in shock! PS, make sure you have absolutely No Residue of any cleaning products on the surface before applying the Zep. That's where the TSP comes in. Surface must be squeaky clean!

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

Yep! That's it cliff. I recommend 5 coats.

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Thanks Al that's important coming from you as you were my Mentor when I first got Grannie! Red I didn't use a sponge I used those green scrubbing pads. Went through a bunch of them! The powder form of BKF took off 30 plus years of grime, mildew and stains! Glad you found something that works. Also when applying the Zep I used those micro fiber cloths and as WME suggested put the wet cloth in a zipped lock bag to re-use it. I still get the occasional black streaks but just spray a little simple green and they wipe right off. Can't wait to see your completed rig! Your gunna be in shock! PS, make sure you have absolutely No Residue of any cleaning products on the surface before applying the Zep. That's where the TSP comes in. Surface must be squeaky clean!

Whats TSP?

I was using a sponge but it was one with the soft surface on one side and the hard scrubber on the other side and I was using the hard side.

I was going to use a sponge mop to apply it as seen in a youtube video.

Is there any rinsing between coats?

How long did you wait before applying another coat?

thanks

Yes that's what I used very diluted! I wouldn't recommend a sponge mop. You'd have excess Zep dripping down everywhere! It goes on like water and you don't want drips! Even thin coats. It dries very fast and you put on multiple thin coats. You can probably put on the 5 coats of Zep in 1 day. By the time you've Zepped your entire rig you can go back and start over. It will be completely dry. The first 2 coats will look pretty bad. Keep applying. The extra coats will seal each previous coat and you will see it starting to shine evenly. Will definitely last way more than 1 year if applied properly! Hope this helps.

In the middle of this project now,taking a break.Heres some before pic,dont know how well we will be able to tell how good it will look after with it being white but we'll see.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

Yep looks good. I'm sure you asked yourself the same question I did, " why didn't somebody do this 20 years ago when the decals were fresh".

Beautiful job red!! You did it Perfectly Man!!

Not sure about that Dan! As I previously stated a guy sold his rig that he Zepped 7 years ago and he said it still looked new. I know it will way outlast the best wax available. Sun and heat would be a factor I'd assume. Zep also makes a wax removal product so I guess you could use this to remove the Zep wax and redo. Shouldn't be that hard and then you'd have a clean service to reapply the Zep. I truly feel you cannot go wrong with the Zep.