Refridgerator run time on Propane

Hi There. I'm going on my first trip at the end of the month. The national park doesn't have any hookup's. So we will be running on propane and battery.

My question is If I start with a full tank of propane will it last me 3 day's to run the fridge and a little cooking on the stove top. I will have a BBQ

I was looking at the Extend-A-Stay kits  but they look to long to install between the regulator and the tank .

Not enough space and solid pipe coming off the regulator. I do have a 40watt solar panel that I can use for the battery which will be new.

Thanks Derek.

My wife was worried about going to a no service park. I said to her that why we got a RV with everything's in it .   LOL

I did change all the bulbs to LED too.

My Next adventure before we leave is to go through the water system. Make sure everything works. So you may see a few more posts:unsure:

Post away cliff & Welcome! Derek is Extremely Knowledgeable about our Toys! You will find answers to all your questions here. I do a lot of camping and my propane tank usually lasts all Summer. The refrigerator appears to be the most efficient but you do need the coach battery to operate the fridge even if it's set to gas. Have Fun!!

Edited by markwilliam1
spelling

3 days - no problem!   you could run the water heater, furnace too! 

my camper has a 32lb tank - (about 8 gallons).  Subtract 20%, and i really have about 6 gallons.  When I do a summer trip, I refill about every 2 weeks.  I use the hot water & furnace occasionally and the frig is only turned off to refill.  I refill when it is convenient and try to never go below 1/4 tank.  Usually about 3 gallons on a normal refill.

My propane tank lasts me months. Using the furnace occasionally and cooking and always use the fridge on propane. Same size as Dan's. That's months even though I'm living in it right now for one week a month for work. Using the furnace lots over the winter too. No Cliff you can't pump propane yourself. Someone certified has to do it or at least they are supposed to be certified. Many gas stations do offer propane and there are propane only suppliers. They fill tanks and also deliver propane to people who use it for their house.

Linda S

I have known people to forget their fridge was on and come back weeks later to a cold fridge. I'm one about 2 weeks nice and cold for the next trip. I go through about 20# a year tops. The exchange tanks stiff you for a bit over a gallon (4.2# per gallon)  they will tell you a full tank is 15#  when it holds 20 and charge you for a full tank. Got some from Camping World (not my favorite place) but they do sell it by the gallon so you will get a full tank many campgrounds are pretty fair about it too. 

My refrigerator does not use coach battery when run on gas. It is 110v and gas (propane). No 12volt.    I have filled up the tank at least 6 times over this winter, of course I use it a lot.

Darrel

9 hours ago, cliffhanger4 said:

When you fill your propane tank, I gather that you go to the car propane fill up pump and just pay by the gallon/ liter

they are not filled at places where one can fill a propane auto.  There is a large propane tank.  Hardware stores, propane dealers ,some campgrounds, rv dealers....     The propane dealers usually have the best price but  are closed on weekends and sometimes no one is available who can pump.  If you are calling around , be sure to ask if they are only a cylinder exchange or do they have a refilling station set up for RV.s

That's interesting darrel. My fridge is 110 volt and propane also no 12 volt but I thought you needed  a 12 source also. Not for cooling purposes but to operate the internal electronics. I think that's what my Dometic manual says but I'm not sure.  I've never tried to operate it on propane alone. Always had the coach battery hooked up when I turned the fridge on. Good info. Thanks!

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

That's interesting darrel. My fridge is 110 volt and propane also no 12 volt but I thought you needed  a 12 source also. Not for cooling purposes but to operate the internal electronics. I think that's what my Dometic manual says but I'm not sure.  I've never tried to operate it on propane alone. Always had the coach battery hooked up when I turned the fridge on. Good info. Thanks!

The very modern RV fridge does require 12 volts to run the electronics but if it has a push button system to light the gas like a BBG grill then it does not need 12 volts. Some older one's in RV did have a 12 volt along with 120 and gas setting. They were power hogs on 12 volts and the only time they should be used is when the RV was in motion.

Thanks Maineah! Mine does have the push button system.