Dometic Royale RM3500 starts but then turns off

My new to me 87 Sunrader has a Dometic Royale RM3500. It is different from the fridges in my last 2 rigs in that it does not use a push button start and there is no gas/electric switch. It just has an on/off switch. According to the instructions inside the door, you simply turn it on. It will automatically try to start on gas and if that fails, switch to electric. It does start. I get a nice steady flame, but after maybe 30 seconds, it goes out and it does not switch to electric, as best I can tell. I have a steady flashing red light on the front. There is a green light as well, but it never comes on. Any thoughts?

your description makes me wonder about the thermocouple.  A thermocouple is usually right above the flame and serves the purpose of giving feedback to the controller. A thermocouple, when exposed to heat, generates a minute electrical current,

If the controller does not recognize the presence of that signal, it is supposed to turn off the gas (having unburned propane accumulating could be a very bad thing).

As for switching to electricity, I am guessing it is looking for 120VAC.  Is 120vac present? (shore power or generator).   some refrigerators are 3 way (also use 12vdc) 

That's an electronic system and does require 12 volts to work. It is designed to hunt for a power source. The PDF Derek posted will give you a diagnostic chart that uses the lights to give you an ideal of might be wrong I not sure what controls the gas valve but if it's lit for 30 sec. or more I would think it's not a thermo couple. I think the green light means all is well so if it's not lit some thing is wrong. I kind of remember them having issues with temp sensors in side of the fridge it is possible it's telling the control system it's cold enough.