Replacing oven

jhdbad

Has anyone replaced stove/oven with a cooktop? I have a 90 Sunrader and I'm contemplating removing existing with a 3 burner cooktop and building cabinet in the oven space. I very seldom use oven and it seems to be the source of a lot of rattling while driving. The 18 ft model could always use a little extra storage.

I had a couple travel trailers and a class A, never used oven.  Built a RV and did not put oven in, now have a Toy with no oven. I could not live without a microwave.  Betty Crocker I ain't :lol:

I had the same issue with the oven rattling in my Dolphin.  I removed it and replaced the old counter top (trashed) with a new one which was extended to cover the void left behind.  I put a shelf inside the newly created space and installed a cabinet door. The new space now nicely holds a 1.0 microwave which I place on the counter top when needed. I also have a one eye electric burner which I can use for frying.

My wife and I use our oven frequently.  We bake "Take n Bake" bread, pizzas, lasagna, baked potatoes, etc.  We love to eat well made food and seldom use our microwave at home unless to heat something up.  

I once made monkey bread at a family get together and the next day I had to make a double batch to avoid the revolt by our grandkids.  

Nothing like a supper of rib eye steaks, twice baked potato, fresh bread and a salad.  The guy in the next campsite came over to see what was cooking and he said that we eat better on the road than he does at home.

Now you have me hesitating...do many of you have an issue with the rattling of stove/oven when driving on less than smooth roads? It's driving my wife crazy

I removed the cooktop-oven in my 84 Dolphin and installed a three burner cooktop, Made two drawers where the oven was. Both my wife and I liked it much better. Stopped a lot of noise and created storage. Thinking of doing the same in my 94 Warrior. We did not ever use the oven.

Darrel

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Our 1985 Rogue oven had never been used when we bought it three years ago. We knew we would never use it either so we removed the burner and capped off the oven propane line. We then installed a wine rack that was perfectly sized for the space. Our "oven" has turned into a mini wine cellar.

this is GREAT topic. how hard is it to remove the oven. I have tried to remove mine several times and I cannot find the bolts... where are they hidden?

On my Escaper I removed the oven to gain stoage

Plan of attack Measure upper cabinet door opening, remove door, find microwave that is a proper fit (had to do a bit of sanding for proper fit). Remove stove oven and install cook top. Build a box were the oven was and install removed cabinet door. Matching door makes it look "stock".

P6140100.JPG

P6140102.JPG

WME like the look of that ... I'm removing oven waiting for 3 burner cooktop and build some cabinet, shelves, drawers not sure yet 

thanks to all for your advise

Removed the entire range in the camper made a new counter top installed a European glass top hob and put a flat screen TV in where the oven was. I use the TV slightly more than the oven that's not saying a lot for either one of them!

We didn't remove our oven as we frequently use the range top attached. We have just "repurposed" it to be a mini- wine cellar by removing the inside metal racks and burner. We even left the oven door on so our wine remains at a fairly constant temperature.

• 3 years later...
On 6/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, Totem said:

this is GREAT topic. how hard is it to remove the oven. I have tried to remove mine several times and I cannot find the bolts... where are they hidden?

Bringing back an old thread... I am also curious.  I don't have an oven, but a microwave, and having difficulty getting it out.  We would like to repurpose the space for more storage.

• 10 months later...

My microwave is beneath the stove top ... cannot get the microwave out ... tried to remove stovetop to see if I could get the microwave out that way ... no help there ... any ideas would be appreciated .... 1990 Toyota Dolphin 21' micromini ...  Thanks much ... Fred in Cleveland

Winnebago has deleted all files relating to Toyota motorhomes. Unfortunately those files did show how everything went together. Isn't there a frame that goes around the outside of your microwave? If so removing it might give you access to screws along the sides. You would have to cut them though. If you post some pics from every direction maybe someone can come up with an idea. 

Linda S