If you plan on keeping the Toy for years or passing it down to the kids or going to do some off roading Bilsteins are a good choice. 

For most people KYB will work just as well and are half the price.  I have the KYB and they made an unbelievable difference in ride and handling.  Of course I replaced 23 year old hunks of junk so even the cheapest Wal Mart shocks would have made an incredible difference :lol:

I also vote for KYB. I went with their Gas-A-Just product for fronts and rears, which are a lot of shock for the $$. (Surprising to see just how lame the original stock shocks were, on a chassis that was destined to carry 6,000 lbs!)

If you want Bilsteins here are your shocks. You will see they are for the dual  rear wheel models

http://raceconsultingagency.com/bilstein/bilstein-truck-off-road-b6-4600-series-shocks/24002585/i-1738093.aspx

http://raceconsultingagency.com/bilstein/bilstein-truck-off-road-b6-4600-series-shocks/24184830/i-1737579.aspx

This place has the best price I know of. I just got new Bilsteins from them

Linda S

6 hours ago, linda s said:

If you want Bilsteins here are your shocks. You will see they are for the dual  rear wheel models

http://raceconsultingagency.com/bilstein/bilstein-truck-off-road-b6-4600-series-shocks/24002585/i-1738093.aspx

http://raceconsultingagency.com/bilstein/bilstein-truck-off-road-b6-4600-series-shocks/24184830/i-1737579.aspx

Linda S

Linda S, 

Those are fantastic prices on shocks! I checked a couple of my "go to" places and I could not beat that price! Probably do the front first then the rear.

Truth is I've known about this place for a while but kept it quiet until I got my shocks. I was afraid if they were flooded with orders the price would go up. Mine are done so everyone go for it. Just get front and rear and be done with it forever.

Linda S

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2017 at 1:37 PM, linda s said:

Linda S

I'm looking on doing the same. Great shocks, had them on my jacked up 4runner! Great prices too wow! So which are the fronts and rears? My fronts need them first the almost 30 year old original ones are bleeding out pretty good.

Anyone have a link to a good how to guide? Never changed shocks before.

Second listing is the front. I just put them on my Sunrader and I don't like the jarring ride at all. Very much wish I had stuck with the KYB like the old ones. I might still take them off and do that. I drive 350 miles each way every month to go to work. It's already a long haul and the ride is making it really unpleasant. If you want to save a ton of money and still get great shocks try these. These are the prices at Shockwarehouse. Can be found cheaper online I believe

Linda S

Installation is just nuts and bolts. Easy but make sure your jacked up securely with jack stands

Manufacturer: KYB  Brand: Gas-a-Just
tran.gif
Part Number Position Package Qty

KG5458 Front 1 $37.96 each
Free Shipping

KG5438 Rear 1 $33.38 each
Free Shipping

Complete Set Front and Rear
KYB Gas-a-Just
$142.68 set of 4
Free Shipping

For a rig your size I highly recommend the Bilsteins! Changed mine last year. Unbelievable difference! I run 55psi in the front  and the ride is smooth and controlled. For a smaller rig they might be too harsh as in Linda's case. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

16 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

For a rig your size I highly recommend the Bilsteins! Changed mine last year. Unbelievable difference! I run 55psi in the front  and the ride is smooth and controlled. For a smaller rig they might be too harsh as in Linda's case. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Thanks for the help everyone! So Linda you have a smaller yotahome? Thanks for the tips, I will have to think it over. Thanks Mark, yea I have a 21ft that we (girlfriend, dog, and I) live in so it is very much over loaded:) It is a pretty bouncy ride (like an old Buick) and think braking would improve with a more rigid shock like the Bilstiens.

I have an 18 foot Sunrader but it still weighs 5000 lbs plus. Jim used the KYB shocks on his full sized Seabreeze and he is perfectly happy with them. If you drive long distances even a little extra bumpiness gets to you. The Bilsteins made the rough roads I travel worse not better. By the way the KYB's that were on my camper were only bad in the front. So old we couldn't even find mention of the model online. The rears were still working and they were pre- gas-adjust so those were over 20 years old too. Just wish my son hadn't thrown them away or they would already be back on it. Good shocks for 100 dollars less than the Bilsteins

Linda S

I remember my old SR5 Toyota truck rode harsh like a truck and so does Grannie. Before replacing the old OEM shocks on her she had no suspension left bottoming out on every bump! So when I went with the Bilsteins I couldn't believe the difference. Yes they are stiff and I agree about the little extra bumpiness. Just feels like an old truck to me which she is LOL!

I put the KYB's on about two months ago. Front and rear. My 91 Warrior has 54k. purchased online @ shockwarehouse, less than 140.00 for all four. Free shipping. joe from dover

KYB has a $40 rebate for Gas-Adjust shocks. Makes it a sweet deal. I plan to order a set of KYB Gas-Adjust tomorrow for the Warrior. 

Best price is shockwarehouse.com (thanks linda s)

They have a thing on their site that says they might extend an additional discount if you belong to a truck or RV forum. I contacted them to see if they would and how much? Will let the group know if they, in fact, do extend an additional discount.

$142.68 minus $40 rebate makes it $102.68 without any additional discount. 

(Might even find a discount code on Retailemenot.com...Will have to see..)

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/pdf/KYB-Feeling-is-Believing-Fall-2017.pdf

donttreadonme, I got the same offer from shockwarehouse, but several emails to them later, and still have not received my $40.00 rebate. if you get the rebate, please describe what you did to get it. at this point not sure what to do. thanks in advance. joe from dover.

The rebate is a prepaid card worth that much not cash and it comes directly from KYB not shock warehouse. You need to send them the rebate form by mail

https://www.kyb.com/40-for-4/

A member of one of my groups negotiated a discount from shock warehouse many years ago. Don't know if it will still work but you could try. at checkout put in discount code "toycamper5" for 5% off. If you try it and it works please let me know

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

The rebate is a prepaid card worth that much not cash and it comes directly from KYB not shock warehouse. You need to send them the rebate form by mail

A member of one of my groups negotiated a discount from shock warehouse many years ago. Don't know if it will still work but you could try. at checkout put in discount code "toycamper5" for 5% off. If you try it and it works please let me know

Linda S

The terms and conditions for the rebate say " Submissions postmarked after May 31, 2016 will not be honored"

8 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

I tried the code and it would not recognize it. I also talked with the guy at ShockWarehouse and he said the since the shocks have a rebate then he couldn't give a code. In another life I would have engaged him in a bad manner but I am trying to "speak a little sweeter and forgive a little more" so he did not feel my wrath.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...Stay tuned.

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Sorry got old offer. Here's the link for  the current one

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/pdf/KYB-Feeling-is-Believing-Fall-2017.pdf

Wow I got shafted. I purchased the front and rear shocks separately, it requires them to be on the same invoice. Nothing a little Photoshop can't fix.

• 2 weeks later...

I've held off responding to this thread as we've been traveling extensively this summer in our Rogue.

After spending nearly $1200 on our rear suspension this year (i.e restored and added leaf springs, bushings, etc.) we thought it best to also install new shocks. I reviewed all the various topics on this subject in these forums and opted to go with the KYB Gas-Adjust units. I had Les Schwab do the work as by doing so I got a lifetime guarantee on both parts and labor. It took nearly three hours to complete the installation as those OEM units were very stubborn to remove.

So what's our opinion?

We've put over 2000 miles on these shocks traveling down and up the west coast. During this journey we drove the back roads and freeways. It's also important to note that our RV is no lightweight. It weighs in at 2000 lbs front; 4850 lbs rear.

Bottom line? We couldn't be more pleased with the handling and feel of these shocks. They made all roads encountered very comfortable to drive.

14 hours ago, Rogue Runner said:

I've held off responding to this thread as we've been traveling extensively this summer in our Rogue.

After spending nearly $1200 on our rear suspension this year (i.e restored and added leaf springs, bushings, etc.) we thought it best to also install new shocks. I reviewed all the various topics on this subject in these forums and opted to go with the KYB Gas-Adjust units. I had Les Schwab do the work as by doing so I got a lifetime guarantee on both parts and labor. It took nearly three hours to complete the installation as those OEM units were very stubborn to remove.

So what's our opinion?

We've put over 2000 miles on these shocks traveling down and up the west coast. During this journey we drove the back roads and freeways. It's also important to note that our RV is no lightweight. It weighs in at 2000 lbs front; 4850 lbs rear.

Bottom line? We couldn't be more pleased with the handling and feel of these shocks. They made all roads encountered very comfortable to drive.

So did I purchase from an authorized dealer?

image.png.a61930c28d1490ca2ca6e173e1726756.png