Jacking up the rear

Hi All, I need to jack up the rear of my rig. I have 2 heavy duty ramps and was wondering which dually should be on the ramp: the inside dually or the outside dually? Thanks!

As Always Thank You Linda!

I would not use ramps - I would get a 4 ton bottle jack (<$20 harbor freight, about 20 auto parts) and 2 jack stands. 

Jack up one side of the axle - place jack stand (on boards unless on concrete) then jack & stand other side.

On my toy, the rear axle carries about 2/3 of total weight, so the rear axle is about 4000lbs.

Be sure to follow common sense stuff - level ground,  front wheels chocked.

If you are just trying to elevate so you can crawl under, you could use stacked 2x6's that support BOTH wheels on each side. If you are using ramps for that purpose, consider that you are transferring that 4000 lbs to TWO tires.  Also, the ramps will be "digging in"

Been playing with this stuff for a while.  Average auto ramp are rated at 2000 pounds each.  No way would I crawl under the rear of the toy sitting on the average ramp sold.  If I had the higher rated ramps 10,000 pounds I might do it.

I find the rear has enough clearance that with doubled up 2X8's I can work under there. 

Wow! Thanks. I thought the Rino ramps I have would be safe. They would be on concrete. Want to adjust the LS valve or disconnect it.

I can't even find ramps with as low a capacity as Jim says. These cheap Rhino Ramps from Walmart have a capacity of 12,000 lbs so 6000 per side.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RhinoRamps-Black/19526658?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017563421&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=60968599608&wl4=pla-87559257888&wl5=9032371&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=19526658&wl13=&veh=sem

Ramps have more square inches on the ground so less digging in than jack stands. I don't see a problem with using them Mark. I would.

Linda S

Thanks Linda! That's what I thought. No digging in as they will be placed on my concrete drive.

Yup I was just dividing the 6500lbs rating. These would be fine for my Little Sunrader but maybe not enough for a full sized rig. Mark did say his are Rhino ramps though and I couldn't find any those that light weight

Linda S

I've been using scrap lumber to get the rear end up, all plywood or large 2x stuff. It's stable and free. No fear of cheapo metal ramps crumpling! Add a low spot in the ground and bingo, even more space!!

15 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Those Rhino Ramps don't have a solid base (so they can nest) so will dig in a bit.

I'm cheap, so would probably just recycle some bits of wood lying around the house.

0f258ecff73045fdc7db0cf0f72891e6.jpg

I like those! I have built some out of 4x4's. I have had the cheaper metal ramps fail. It just goes with out warning. Luckily not under the rig at the time. 

My favorite though is two 3 ton floor jacks and two really good jack stands tightly under the frame for safety. Treat it like your working on a heavy truck. 

I've never been a fan of ramps. Never owned any, rarely driven up on friends ramps. Not sure why, but always have visions of driving to far and over the end! :)

Always use jack/axle stands, always leave the jack there too (even if it gets in the way a bit) and if working with a wheel off I'll throw the removed wheel underneath somewhere too.

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

I've never been a fan of ramps. Never owned any, rarely driven up on friends ramps. Not sure why, but always have visions of driving to far and over the end! :)

Always use jack/axle stands, always leave the jack there too (even if it gets in the way a bit) and if working with a wheel off I'll throw the removed wheel underneath somewhere too.

I agree I have never owned a set of ramps, I recall trying to use some one time and when I tried to get up on them they would slide forward. I have had lots of bits of wood of various dimensions fastened together in different ways. I also leave the jack under there when using stands.

Made in China by lowest bidder what could go wrong?

23 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Those Rhino Ramps don't have a solid base (so they can nest) so will dig in a bit.

I'm cheap, so would probably just recycle some bits of wood lying around the house.

0f258ecff73045fdc7db0cf0f72891e6.jpg

This is a ramp I would use, without hesitation!

Well my Rino Ramps have a 12,000 lb. capacity. Made in the USA! Not the cheap metal ones Jim posted. I'll feel safe under them. They are made for this application. Thanks for everyone's input!

Derek that picture is still making me shake.

Darrel

On 6/5/2017 at 7:15 AM, markwilliam1 said:

Well my Rino Ramps have a 12,000 lb. capacity. Made in the USA! Not the cheap metal ones Jim posted. I'll feel safe under them. They are made for this application. Thanks for everyone's input!

The key is a solid level (concrete) floor

Have that & HaHa Greg!! Thanks!