Rear bumper storage tear out and upgrade - 1991 Toyota Winnebago Toye

Wasn't a fan of the looks of the storage box that came with the motorhome.

I'm going to rip it out and likely redo it with a much cleaner look to it.  Probably raise it up to the bend so when the lid opens it doesn't hit the back.

Took the lid off today and will remove the rest tomorrow or the next.

I think I may move the spare wheel inside the box or see if it can go back underneath.  I'm thinking it may not fit underneath as the black tank has been upgraded to a larger size.

DSC03808_zpspxp82pe7.jpg

DSC03812_zps05bwsru0.jpg

DSC03833_zpsxiaxfzc4.jpg

DSC03834_zpsjz8zx401.jpg

DSC03835_zps3ka8nyyz.jpg

DSC03836_zps5wpzlqr8.jpg

DSC03837_zpspkrwf8wn.jpg

DSC03838_zpsec7ngerk.jpg

DSC03839_zpsj6171ng0.jpg

I actually liked that storage box. Seems well made especially if it could support the heavy spare tire. Just me I guess.

It wasn't well made.

Random checkerplate, random old garage door, random threshold/transition strips.

Looked like Sanford and Son.  It wasn't wife approved.

The new one will be much cleaner looking.

Stay tuned.

Tear off was the right thing to do. Onward and upward! 

Was the bumper extended with 3 inch channel? The previous owner of my rig extended the supports for the rear bumper with 2 pieces of wood bolted to the frame and then bolted the bumper to the ends of the wood. It was extended about the same amount that yours was. He installed an aluminum box on the platform and added boards to the ends. The tail lights are visible (from some angles) :)

I plan to rework the wooden frame extensions with metal and add a bike rack.

I'll show pics later.  There is a hitch added as well as some stabilizers.  I'm not sure if it was carried all the way back.  The weld need some more work.

I'm just removing what isn't needed and I'll clean up the rest before I start with the storage box.

DSC03851_zps0laxqmh5.jpg

I would like to do something similar to my Sunrader, but it will be removable. I want to make it a little taller than that was and slightly deeper. I would like to have a dry place to keep a few bikes. My plan is to make it out of thin plywood with a fiberglass coating. Should be strong enough, weatherproof and hopefully  look like it belongs there.

Spent a little bit of time with a grinding disc and a Crud Thug.  Cleaned up nice once I removed the white house paint underneath the black top coat.

Sprayed on some POR15 and looks great.  Ready to make the storage box.

Just have to decide if I go with box with lid that runs up to where the angle changes.  That might be too high for some to reach in without a stool. 

The other choice would be a boxed in top but with doors opening rearward. 

DSC03852_zpsvbjphme8.jpg

DSC03853_zps2fjb0cyl.jpg

DSC03854_zpswqd3m4q6.jpg

If its height to be to the angle then I think that doors would be the better idea. Other wise its going to be like a chest freezer  with all the good stuff on the bottom :P.

here is my two cents-- how about double doors hinged to open up (top door) and down (bottom door) possibly utilizing small gas struts  to hold top door in "open" position. would provide very easy access to contents of box. with your taillight wiring so close, you could incorporate lighting inside box as a convenience at night just another thought. joe from dover.

• 6 years later...

Dan, I have a 1992 Toyota class c that looks just like the one in these photos. I have not been able to actually determine what model it is. The folks who are the official dealer for Winnebago parts, I can't remember their names right now, told me when I gave them the VIN that it was a " one off" meaning it was some kind of special order perhaps. Anyway I found that most of the warrior parts that I've purchased fit pretty well but I sure would like to know if one that looks like ours do, with identical graphics and color are actually some kind of particular model. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much, Mark

Helps to pay attention to the date things were posted. These are from 5 years ago and Dan hasn't visited us since then. As for the model of your Winnebago, if it looks like this it's a "Toye". Printed right on the side of it. The Toye's were a lower priced model with supposedly cheaper upholstery and finishes. I really don't think they looked that much different than the other models. Welcome to the group

Linda S

it is old lol, but dude, that box he had was pretty sweet. i woulda refteshed that thing. i need somehhing for sure, i just cut my bumper off today and sandblasted, skim coated with filler, primed and painted. extending out for maybe an aluminum box seing as i gotta weld back in the bumper. i took a week vacation  since rains voming hete in the PNW, trying to get her wrapped up. although i find with all of the classic cars ive restored you're never TRULY done.