Shower upgrade/repair after being turned to closet - 1991 Winnebago Toye

Shower was turned into a closet/shelf area. 

I like to shower so I need to address this problem.

Didn't take picture of the closet/shower before I took it apart.  I should have but I forgot.

Tore out the shelving and of course it was screwed and glued to the walls.  This had the effect of having ruined walls.  They had been poorly painted anyway so why not start fresh.

I will refinish the shower floor pan as well once I put in new wall.

Just have to decide how far I want to go with the renovation.

DSC03832_zps6aab21uz.jpg

DSC03831_zpswrtiu2zj.jpg

DSC03830_zpsdtwmp4n3.jpg

DSC03829_zpsxtkxzvqd.jpg

DSC03828_zpsow92vfpr.jpg

DSC03827_zpsyicf5fjc.jpg

DSC03826_zpsplry5bfz.jpg

I have the shower pan.  They just bolted shelves to the existing shower.

I'm going to document painting it.  It did polish up but it's not really a white shower pan.  Once I put in new walls it will look out of place.  I'm going to refinish that and the sink.

Details/pics to follow in another post.

Measurements are 80cm X 68cm or 31 1/2" X 26 1/2"

I've cleaned up the old caulking, washed it down and then sanded it ready for refinishing.

I used 220 on a orbital sander and a red Scotchbrite.

I will be removing the sink and refinishing that as well.

DSC03847_zps9oygfyzu.jpg

DSC03848_zpsrxyccx2f.jpg

DSC03849_zpsjpll8fjb.jpg

DSC03850_zpsfjn8wrq9.jpg

Just a thought. Since you have the shower ripped out it mite be a good time to renew all the drain seals and water connections. New drain valves and seal around all openings.  When I was this far I also painted the floor with a water proof paint. Think it was  Snow Seal. I also put in a drain hole in case of a water leak.

Darrel

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Today's work.

Removed sink, toilet, upper cabinet, sink cabinet.  Pulled up two layers of linoleum flooring.  Pulled down what parts of the wall that would come up.  Undid the shower taps to find out they had been cut off and just hanging there.

Cleaned toilet and sink and will prepare them for painting along with both sink and shower tap bases.

Noticed that the toilet was leaking where it goes into the new black water tank that was previously installed.  The tank was installed with pool noodles as a spacer between the coach and tank.  I flush mounted it temporarily with the muffler straps/banding that was also use.  I will remove that and fab a real solid mount that won't vibrate and cut into the bottom of the tank over time.

After moving the tank upwards the drain angle now hits the stabilizer jack.  I will need to move the jacks.  I don't think they are even anyway.

One step forward. 2 steps back.

DSC03855_zpsahyd8r0z.jpg

DSC03856_zpsxrorfjad.jpg

DSC03857_zpsrwuvn9iq.jpg

DSC03858_zpsn5jonegd.jpg

DSC03859_zpsrphkkjza.jpg

DSC03860_zpsciw4fgxo.jpg

DSC03861_zpsxpcq9vpo.jpg

DSC03862_zps3nfeqyhi.jpg

DSC03863_zpst5lwaqdc.jpg

DSC03864_zpsdqan2k1g.jpg

DSC03865_zpsznl0fqrf.jpg

DSC03866_zpshvdaiqeb.jpg

DSC03867_zpsyi6sio58.jpg

Cleaned and sanded the toilet seat lid and bathroom sink getting them ready for paint.

My faucet set is also that yellow colour and I was going to paint it as well.  A new chrome set from Rona, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. is about 30-40 so I will just pony up and but a new one.

I noticed that my toilet flange was cracked and possibly a source of a leak.  I have to mount the waste tank securely and then I can move on to the new flange.

Should the flange and the black tank inlet be solid or should they be floating or flex coupled?  It seems the new tank diameter and the old flange diameter were the same and there was a rubber coupler with 2 hose clamps to join the two.

Of course I have to decide on what flooring I want to use.  It's always one thing and then another.

Choosing the floor type and colour is another thing to ponder over.

Pictures of them sanded to follow.

DSC03868_zpscsclauus.jpg

DSC03869_zpsnwcw1ins.jpg

Edited by DanDanLongDan

Was able to grab a couple 4'x8' FRP panels from Home Depot.  They were $61 a sheet.  So far I grabbed two plus adhesive, trowel and some trim.  Total so far was $192.

Cut the first one and troweled on the adhesive.  It was a dance to get it into the coach and not smear any of the adhesive while getting it in place.

Pushed it down as well as I could.  Braced it a little with some sticks.

I'll let it cure overnight and see the results.

It looks like I may need a 3rd of 4th sheet depending on how I cut the remaining walls.

20170618_1655201_zpsanrsosxa.jpg

20170618_1655011_zps5fpxonya.jpg

Man, you do Fantastic work Dan!! Can't wait to see the end result!

• 2 years later...

Hey all - I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I am looking to paint my sink, toilet, and shower pan like DanDanLongDan did above.  The one difference is I would prefer not to use a paint sprayer, as the items are still in the camper and I'm not looking to remove them.  I've been looking all over the Internet re: the best paint to use on plastic, and most recommendations are for various types of spray paint.  Surely there is some type (or combo of) primer and paint that would allow me to brush/ roller paint on these items?  Of course the paint needs to be waterproof and not flake off since these 3 items all get wet 🙂

They don't have to look as good as the pics above as long as the paint adheres.  They are currently that gross yellow color.....

Thanks for any advice!!