Someone tried to steal our Rogue!

We keep our RV in a secured area in out housing development. Unfortunately someone cut through the fence and broke into our RV. They went through one of our coach windows. I had left them open a crack for ventilation and thought I had them locked. They went straight to the cab and proceeded to break open the ignition cover. They also tried to use a knife in the ignition but broke their blade. They left the broken cover on floor and fortunately the sheriff was able to pull some prints. A report is filed and hopefully they'll apprehend these lowlifes. I'm left now with an ignition where I can't use my key. Can someone give me an idea how best to repair?

If you are insured call a locksmith they have some nifty tools to deal with things like broken off keys,knife blades etc.

Lock cylinder is pretty easy to purchase ($30-$40) and to replace yourself. A new cylinder will need to be keyed to your existing ignition key, if you want/need it to match (did this last year on mine and didn't mind having a different key). 

You are lucky you left the window open, some ner do well may have done a humongous amount of damage breaking into it!

Happened to a friends RV by MIami.  After his I often don't often lock mine, I would rather lose what is inside than repair a ton of damage. When traveling I lock it, not in storage.

I appreciate the replies. We've ordered off of Amazon a new cylinder lock and wire assembly. Together they came to around $60. As we have "Prime Membership" both qualified for free 2-day shipping. Should have before weekend so I can install.

This occurrence however has awaken me to the threat we all share. In an instant someone can easily steal our classic RV's. Even though I thought I was being diligent in keeping our baby in a "secure" 24-hour monitored facility, my effort wasn't enough. I'm looking at what other measures I can do to detour car theft (i.e. wheel locks, steering wheel clubs, etc.)

I would love to hear what others have and/or will be doing to ensure that their beloved Toyota RV doesn't show up missing one day.

If your in storage, just pull the coil wire. Or as I did, install an inline fuel cut off valve (as long as you don't have fuel injection). On FI, pull the fuel pump relay. Or just remove the battery.

There are many simple ways to theft proof your vehicle.

Edited by fred heath

Fred, great idea about coil wire! We have 22RE so not sure about the fuel cut-off valve. Those things are easy to do and tough for car prowler/thieves to see much less overcome.

My thoughts are also on more visible deterrents. Discouraging thieves BEFORE they break-in and do costly damage. If they SEE something that will cost them more time to be successful they just might not try in the first place. Make sense?

Yes it does. Usually people break in to steal what's available. It's unusual for someone to try and steal the whole motor home. It's not like they can blend in with other traffic.

A "club" or similar device would give you a visual deterrent. I'd still pull the coil wire.

Unfortunately, most ignition switches have to have the key inserted then turned usually to the "acc" position to remove the lock cylinder. There is a small pin that has to be pushed in to allow the cylinder to be removed. A locksmith would probably have a way around this. I'm not sure I would want to tackle it on my own unless I knew I wouldn't do futher damage to the steering column. The knife blade if jammed into the cylinder could make a self help job very difficult.

the coil wire is a good one I have done that . on the 22 re I have also removed rotor and replaced the dist cap. a little more work but if they open the hood  not obivis why no start

I bought a fake alarm key pad on eBay and mounted it under the overhead side wall close to the entry door. It has blinking leds and when you push the key pad it beeps. Looks professional. I also have a club but read they are easily removed by cutting the steering wheel. 

The best approach is to leave the key in the ignition, superglued into the ignition. open the panel and run  a simple switch from the battery isoloator 12 volt to the key /switch and a kill switch under the dash or hidden somewhere custom. Not only will the thief get no where because the engine will not start unless the kill switch is turned on but also he/she/it<insert "idenify as" other here> will enjoy the pleasantry of the 12 volts from each battery bank in the vehicle saying "HELLO" to their grubby little fingers. finally, attach a spray paint can into the column aiming at the crotch area with metalic flake pink silver sparkle spray paint so that the perpe-traitor  is now marked and cannot easily conceal themselves in the immediate area without stealing clothes. In the cabinets only have the same outfit in every cupboard and drawer: a clown suit complete with shoes. I guarantee after that we see crime go down in our rigs once the word spreads.

Actually 12v won't do much of anything to a human. Our skin offers to much resistance for any type of amperage to get through.

To avoid a major discussion on this point I've copied a blurb from online. Makes the whole concept easier to understand.

Can't Your Car Battery Electrocute You?

The math can get a little complicated, but the main reason that you can safely touch the positive and negative terminals of a typical car battery, and walk away unscathed, has to do with the voltage of the battery. Traditional car batteries are capable of delivering a lot of amperage in short bursts, which is the main reason that ancient lead acid technology is still in use. Starter motors require a lot of amperage to run, and lead acid batteries are good at providing short, intense bursts of amperage. However, there’s a world of difference between the coils of a starter motor and the high contact resistance of the human body.

Simply put, voltage can be thought of as “pressure,” and the 12 volts of a car battery simply don’t provide enough pressure to push any significant amount of amperage through the contact resistance of your skin.

That’s why you can touch both terminals of a car battery without receiving a shock, although you may feel a tingle if your hands are wet. Certainly nothing like the confession-inducing, potentially-deadly, electrical torture you may have seen in the movies or on television, though.

I have shorted my Dodges batteries before and wasn't keen on it;  a Buck Boost box inline or capacitor will be added to the build and duly noted however.

Ha Ha! Your a trip Totem LOL!

Antique Toy trucks are among easiest to steal or hot wired...a secret kill switch that kills the starter or fuel pump would be simple enough to do. Be careful when messing around with the fuel pump or EFI circuits as this is critical for safe operations of the vehicle

Installed new ignition cylinder lock. Knife blade was broken inside keyhole. This made it a bit difficult but I was able to move the key switch to AC with screwdriver. Then I squeezed smaller screwdriver into outer housing to push down release button. The old cylinder was then easily pulled out and the new one inserted. Thanks for all your help!

Now I have NEW problem. Can't locate the lower plastic steering column cover that the would-be thief broke. I searched our local wrecking yard but no luck. The part number is 45287-35180. Can someone direct me to a reasonably priced source?

Edited by Rogue Runner

Oops...Sorry about forgetting to add that important information. It's for a 1984 Toyota Pickup, tilt steering, manual transmission, and preferred color is black. Thanks Derek for your assistance.

Funny thing was I didn't know I had tilt steering until I removed the balance of the broken cover. As far as power steering I know I don't have that. Funny thing about that is I don't miss it at all!