CARGO CARRIER REFIT FOR HONDA HOBBIT

i purchased a 1978 honda "hobbit" moped last fall on CL with the intent to have additional transportation in and around campgrounds. i modified the HF aluminum cargo carrier, with a stainless steel rail and ramp. it fits nicely, nothing to rust, easy enough to load and unload by myself. the "hobbit" is 50cc and weighs 109lbs "wet", it had 430 original miles on it from previous and original owner. i used it earlier this week at the campground, it will only do about 15mph. 20mph downhill. lol--  joe from dover

100_1882.JPG

100_1883.JPG

100_1885.JPG

100_1886.JPG

i have been good naturally ridiculed by my friends because, "you went from a HARLEY to a HOBBIT!" , I RECENTLY SOLD MY 1981 HARLEY 80cubic inch, LOW RIDER !   apparently no need for speed any longer. :) joe from dover

Hunkaman,

Where did you find such a fine piece? I want one too! This sure bring back some memory for me. I used to have one just like that. But it was from Yamaha if I recall.

i found mine on CL last fall. i am amazed that since then, two more identical hobbits have been listed on CL. same year (1978), same color, and one had 370 original miles, the other 2000 plus miles. both were in a 60 mile radius from where i live and both were under $400.00 asking price. the pics showed that they were in really good condition.  so i would suggest you look frequently at  CL, i am sure you will have a successful hunt. good luck, joe from dover

I am going to do that, Since your post I been looking but not too much luck so far. Under $400 it almost means parts only around here.

I found so amused to see your post, If you don't mind to tell me where you find that cover from? or you custom made it?

My buddy hunkaman's Hobbit is awesome! Unfortunately for me being 6'4" I couldn't steer it cause my legs were hitting the handle bars. Bummer! Lol

hey there CHANG50012, the cover is custom made. the P.O. offered it with the winnie for additional cost (not included in purchase price of winnebago)  The P.O. had it made at a local shop in the amish community that is predominant in the area in which i live. it fits over the entire rig, from cab over to rear. the sides are heavy canvas and the top is a slightly padded vinyl type material. there are heavy duty nylon zippers at each corner at the rear, and brass grommets along the bottom edges. it fits very snug. although a bit of effort to put on and take off by myself. with another person, it is fairly easy. the P.O. stated he paid $575.00 for the cover, i negotiated a price with him and he accepted. it also has a storage bag included. thanks for asking. joe from dover

Hunkaman,

Thanks for reply. That made sense, it fit perfectly. Seeing what to have on your Warrior give me some great ideas.

Found a 81 Honda express with only 222 miles and asking for $600. Do you think that is a good deal? Not sure how much it weight.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/6152994634.html

if you can test drive, and overall condition is good, brakes, lights, etc. work. i would say that is a fair price. but if you need to replace allot of parts, you could spend far more than what it is really worth, there are possibilities to find a real gem, but i would not be too eager to buy without searching for awhile and compare depending on your choices. hope this helps. joe from dover.

I am more interested in the "historical" plate. Is the hobbit so old as to qualify for historic vehicle?

109 lbs is pretty sweet, if I didn't have so much invested in my electric i would go this route also. My electrics however charge in just under an hour and have 50-80 mile range. Im not really sure because I have never ran one dry yet after hours and hours of riding.

My electrics cost me 300 a piece and 300 give or take for the lifepo4 30 AH packs; so 600$ for the hobbit is legit alternative for sure.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:51 AM, Totem said:

I am more interested in the "historical" plate. Is the hobbit so old as to qualify for historic vehicle?

109 lbs is pretty sweet, if I didn't have so much invested in my electric i would go this route also. My electrics however charge in just under an hour and have 50-80 mile range. Im not really sure because I have never ran one dry yet after hours and hours of riding.

My electrics cost me 300 a piece and 300 give or take for the lifepo4 30 AH packs; so 600$ for the hobbit is legit alternative for sure.

Totem,

What kind of electrics you have? Sorry if I missed your post and if you could share that information or provide me the link, that will be helpful.

Charge in just  under an hour and have 50-80 miles range, I would love to know how much weight and how much it cost you.

Thanks

I have photos of them in my gallery in here and run 2 of them. Initially they came with 3 SLA wheelchair batteries in them which I replaced with custom lifepo4 batteries from China.  The best advantage of my scoots so far as I can tell, they are allowed on bike trails and we have yet to be given any grief on road riding them either while towing the kid hauler behind one of them also even.  Im into each one (I have 2) $600, 300 for the scooter, 300 for the battery. $1200 total.  Initially they weighed in at 90 lbs now they weigh 60 per.

Total is 120 lbs.

-so for 10 lbs more than the hobbit, two of my custom scooters fit in that same HF cargo rack and along with a kid hauler I am able to move 4 people at 35 MPH top speed. not bad. I use the kid hauler to go get groceries, its huge and I have moved large bags of Ice , cases of beer and full groceries for a week in one before.