While wandering about this spring I stumbled into a deal on some Chinese Tires - "Evergreen" ES88.   Found them on walmart,com.    Had them shipped to a nearby store and installed.   6 tires cost   $337. (52 each)   $121 mounting/ life time balance/ road hazard/ tire disposal fees. 

Put 600 miles on them so far - they seem to ride good. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evergreen-ES88-185R14C-OWL102-100Q/54485716    looks like they raised the price - they were $52 when I bought mine.

I buy tires at wallie's world since I can get them serviced all over and if when I go to the store to accept the tires and if I  decide the tires are not acceptable, I can cancel with no penalty.

The mfg dates were december 2016, january 2017 & feb 2017

P1230066.JPG

P1230060.JPG

P1230056.JPG

P1230053.JPG

P1230054withaddressblackedout.jpg

I bought some GoFroms from tire easy.  My tires will sit and rot and not get worn out so I am not going to spend big money on tires.   Because a tire is not a recognized brand name (heavily advertised)  in the US does not mean it is a bad tire and may be a premium tire in Asia or Euorpe.   I have put 10,000 miles on the GoForms and have no complaints.

Speaking of Wal Mart.   I went to have new tires put on my truck. The first service guy's english was so bad I could not understand him.   The second one told me that the tires on my vehicle were "too worn" and they would not remove them.  As I stood there in stunned disbelief, I did not demand to see a manager or raise a ruckus I simply left and went to another Wal Mart who had no issue with my worn out tires.

I have become accustomed  to poor service and idiotic morons but even Ripley would not believe this one.      Jim

never heard of a walmart that could not mount these tires - there is nothing special in that regard.  Once I did have a walmart tell me they could not balance the tires - upon further investigation, the employee did not know

they had a cone that fit the large opening on the wheels.

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

See if Walmart will price match!

https://simpletire.com/hankook-185-r14-2001939-tires

walmart does not charge shipping if you select ship to store.   The total price for the chinese evergreens is less than the price for the korean hankooks.

Walmart's tire merchandising seems to change daily.   I have seen the price vary on the evergreens from 51-67.  They offered the hankook RA08 when that tire was in production - at about $100.    I think the RA18 has a little less tread depth then the RA08

I agree with Dan. The RA18 definitely has less tread depth than the RA08 so I purchased the Nexen tires instead. Deep tread and smooth ride!

Few of us will actually 'wear out' our tires. They usually 'time out' before they wear out. I know many are happy with the performance of Hankook RA08 and RA18 and this is the first I've heard mention of anyone buying tires based on tread depth (unless for AT tires). I'm not about to go chasing tires with a tread depth gauge, but Googling, I find Nexen SV820 @ 9.2mm http://www.neumasur.com.ar/files/nexen/Ficha Nexen SV820.pdf

BTW, Sears still shows the older RA08. Beware of 'old stock' if they do actually have some sitting in a dusty warehouse.

http://www.sears.com/hankook-ra08-tire-185r14/p-09535848000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=T1

I have a memory that the RA18 was actually marked 'M&S' on the tire. Can't find a picture online. But this guy has the same recollection:- "... they sold the RA08 as an All Season tire but are waffling on the RA18 - In a press release they promoted it as All Season (and they put the M&S logo on the sidewall) but online they call it a Summer tire."

Anyone have new RA18s installed who could go and look for 'M&S'?

Yep Derek I have the Nexen 820's. Didn't buy them for tread depth though. I liked the aggressive tread design. Didn't like the new Hankook RA18 being a "Summer" tire now. Really don't know if it matters. Sorry can't delete this auto correct garbage: @Allodin_mn

Edited by markwilliam1
error

• 6 months later...

Just a note about Evergreen tires on the Walmart website:-

There's an obvious error in the data entry for the 'Tire Load Index'. It CAN NOT be '120'.  This would indicate a tire able to handle over 3000lb. As can clearly be seen in the photos posted by Dan, the Load Index is the same as every other LR D/8-Ply tire: '102/100'!!

On 5/25/2017 at 9:07 AM, DanAatTheCape said:

While wandering about this spring I stumbled into a deal on some Chinese Tires - "Evergreen" ES88.   Found them on walmart,com.    Had them shipped to a nearby store and installed.   6 tires cost   $337. (52 each)   $121 mounting/ life time balance/ road hazard/ tire disposal fees. 

Put 600 miles on them so far - they seem to ride good. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evergreen-ES88-185R14C-OWL102-100Q/54485716    looks like they raised the price - they were $52 when I bought mine.

I buy tires at wallie's world since I can get them serviced all over and if when I go to the store to accept the tires and if I  decide the tires are not acceptable, I can cancel with no penalty.

The mfg dates were december 2016, january 2017 & feb 2017

P1230066.JPG

P1230060.JPG

P1230056.JPG

P1230053.JPG

P1230054withaddressblackedout.jpg

Evergreen ES88.jpg

Evergreen Walmart 2.jpg