Troubleshooting dual fuel tanks

Gerard H

Hey, guys, 91 Toyota dolphin with dual fuel tanks. Can someone help me please with understanding how those tanks are set up and operate ? I have gone almost a hundred miles and my fuel level is still on full. I filled the first tank completely and put 10 gallons in the second tank. Any help, please?

No Toyota motorhome came with 2 fuel tanks so someone did this on their own. We would need a lot more info. Do you have a switch anywhere on the dash to switch from one tank to the other? Where are your tank fill tubes. Separate or 2 holes in the same place. I have seen that one time and it was a pain to fill. Can you see if your tanks are connected? maybe draining the alternate one first and then main original tank so that would still show full. Very unlikely the gauge can show fill level of both tanks

Linda S

More than likely the second tank is a scavenge tank meaning the engine does not run from that tank it is nothing more that a storage tank that pumps fuel into the stock tank. The engine fuel pump is a high pressure pump so a second tank would have to have a complex system of plumbing and check valves if it was to run the engine so they use a low pressure high volume pump  to move fuel from the second tank to the stock tank. It most likely does not have a fuel float either. So watch the fuel gauge when it's low, switch on the second tank and see if the level increases in the stock tank.