Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'storage'.
Found 3 results
I have an idea for building a rear storage box on the back of my 1987 Toy Itasca ... I know the bumper really isn't built to hold a lot of weight, so I was thinking of building a box that attaches directly to the outside rear wall of the coach ... I would like it just to hold my generator (about 40 pounds), a 5 gallon can of gas and my spare tire. Anybody ever do anything like that? Am I crazy, stupid, naive ... ? All of the above?
Now that I'm FINALLY done painting this thing, I'd like to show it off a little and give a huge shoutout to my favorite front-yard fabricator @1toyhero for hooking it up big time with the design and fabrication of the coolest addition to the ole Yoterhome, the pièce de résistance. Hit him up on Instagram if you're ever in need of some fab work done in the Phoenix area: https://www.instagram.com/1toyhero/ First off, we had to decide whether to remove the old, crusty 4x4 tube bumper or weld onto it, and I'm glad we decided to cut er off, knowing that I'd have to find a different solution for the poopoo hose storage. We fabricated the basket by welding it all up beforehand with thick steel that we had laying around that was way overkill, but at least I know that I'll win if people/ trees try to tailgate too close. While I was still trying to dust off my trigonometry and figure out the necessary angles, Kyle was already cutting, and I trusted his eyeball more than I trusted my math, so I let him do his thang. The new 2x4 base tube was welded directly onto the frame right in place of the old bumper, and there was plenty of surface area to hold whatever I need to put on there, which is mainly my (2) 6-Volt golf cart batteries and 2000W WEN Generator, totaling about 100 lbs. The ladder was welded directly to the 2x4, and bent to match the sexy curves of my old lady's behind: Once it was all welded up, I basically left for Farmington the next day without ever getting a chance to put any paint down, so I had a tad bit o' rust to deal with by the time I got around to painting the naked steel. After enough vinegar to almost make me not like pickles anymore, and hours of scrubbing and scraping with steel wool and a wire brush, I laid down 3 coats of Rustoleum Automotive Primer. Then I took 800 grit sandpaper to it for a nice, smooth finish to paint over: For the color, I wanted something that stood out, so I went with Rustoleum Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze, and applied around four coats or so. It's basically a satin black with some bronze flake in it that only really shows in the sun, and I'm real happy with how it turned out. After the paint was dry, I applied a couple layers of spray-on protective clear coat, and that made all the difference. I like how it hardened and added a glossy finish. All in all, I'm extremely happy with how this project turned out, and have already put it to use by mounting a new pootube holder, and it bolted right up easy peasy: